I'm setting up my 125G for "El Natural" growth. I have two questions, but the first is what's bugging me. Is it possible to have an *all plant* biofilter?
I read blogs like this one
and it makes me want to tinker with things.
Well, I have an empty 125G waiting on money to finish its sump. BUT, what if I el-natural it and go filterless? How many fish could I support in the tank? Ideally, I want otos, corydoras + tiger barbs (my daughter's in love with them), but I have no clue what kind of biomass emergent plants can maintain.
I ordered some Cyperus Umbrella sedge, a similar plant to what's used in the above. I also have a *ton* of plant for inside the aquarium.
My plant list so far:
* Cyperus Umbrella sedge (main source of filtration, grows 2-6 ft tall)
* "Centerpiece Cluster" E. Ozelot (Red), Rotala, C. Wendtii (Red)
* "Invert hiding" L. Mauritona + E. Tennellus (Or whatever it's called now)
* Some type of Amazon Sword (large leaf).
* E. Augostifolia "Vesuvius"
I've tested all the plants (except the cyperus) in the same aquarium for allelopathic issues. Things *appear* ok.
Do you think these plants will provide enough filtration? Should I pick up more 'aerial' plants? Anyone grow Water Hycianth before?
Thanks for any help. I figure, this is the best forum, of any, to ask