Here is an update. The aquarium has been running since sept 09.
I stopped doing the midday burst of 4 bulbs of T5 lighting about a month ago and now just use 2 bulbs during the whole lighting period. The BBA is much decreased and the nerite snails and/or the siamese algae eater are helping to get rid of what is left.
The ludwigia repens on the right have lost much of their red color, but they are growing well. They look short because I just trimmed and replanted them.
They hygrophila corymbosa kompact all but died. I have left the stems and roots in place. Who knows maybe they will come back.
I put some hornwort on top of my rock wall on the left, but it isn't giving the effect I want.
I got a stem of hygrophila polysperma at an auction (it came free with a pair of pelvicachromis taeniatus 'nigerian red'). I planted it in the back of the tank and it is growing quick and dense. I may put it on top of the rock wall. It is actually growing that way anyway and may plant itself there. It is one of my favorite plants.
As for the fish, I took out the harlequin rasbora school (they spawned while I was using them to cycle other tanks) and the nannacara anomala pair. I started a cardinal tetra school.
Here is a (little bit blurry) picture of my apistogramma cacatuoides male just for fun: