Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Eriocaulon compressum

11K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Cavan Allen 
#1 ·
I present to you one of the best aquarium plants we've ever collected: Eriocaulon compressum. This is a native species found from Texas up along the coast to NJ. The first time we found it was in New Jersey, but those plants didn't fare as well as we'd hoped. A newer collection from Florida gave us plants that do very well, nearly rivaling E. parkeri for durability.* But this is a MUCH bigger plant. They can get to be about ten inches tall and a bit wider, though they can really get going with the division and end up forming huge clumps.

Pulled up and ready for division:

Again:

Part of my submersed stand (ignore the soon-to-be-gone algae and floating plants bits - Ludwigia cf. suffruticosa in front there)(see the smallish rosy barb on the left for size comparison):

This species appears to be well adapted to submersed life and what grows submerged is quite different from the relatively small emersed plants. For such a substantial plant, its roots are pretty small, and it seems that, at least where we found it in NJ, that plants that come up from the substrate and float off are a key means of its dispersal. Unfortunately, they are very buoyant, and you really have to weigh them down well. I''m going to be doing some experiments with different ways of attaching them to rocks.

* We found the only native Syngonanthus, S. flavidulus, with it, but that species does NOT appreciate continuous submersion. Looks neat though. There was also Ludwigia linifolia, which does grow submersed but doesn't look so hot and Proserpinaca pectinata, which is pretty nice.

See less See more
#5 ·
Mine is doing very well under 4x39 watt T5s over a 40 breeder, with two of them on for a mid-day burst. KH is around 2. I have a mineralized soil substrate, but it seems I have to fertilize the water column, as I've been having algae issues (another thread, perhaps). Specimens that get shaded over hang on but don't grow nearly as well as those that don't. I inject co2. I don't think it's really for a low tech setup, although as far as I know, it has not been attempted. Like other Eriocaulons, it really appreciates root feeding.

I'd like to hear the experiences of others who have kept it. It's an amazing plant!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.