Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What do you use for traces?

What do you use for traces?

10K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  JAXON777 
#1 ·
And why?

#11 ·
Yes, Flourish and Flourish Trace are two different things. I haven't quite understood the requirement for Flourish Trace, especially given the extremely weak concentration of traces in it.

I use Flourish and Flourish Iron together. Flourish by itself does not provide enough iron.

I'm also in the process of testing TMG on harder water installations because I hear that the TMG chelate may work better than the Seachem gluconate in harder water.

I used CSM+B for about 9 months and then switched to the Flourish and Flourish Iron. I find the Flourish works better for me than CSM+B.

#13 ·
I use flourish, flourish iron and csm+b. When my csm+b is gone I probably wont order it again. I appear to get better results(color,shine)from the flourish micros. I haven't tried TMG. I do get heavy precipitation from any iron I use. 1 ml in my 55 gallon will make a white cloud, 10ml. will make the whole tank milky white for 6-8 hrs. I want to try TMG to see if there is a difference.

#16 ·
I'm using ADA STEP series on my small tanks, but still use SeaChem on the big tanks. I used TMG for years too-- and actually I used to have this crazy dosing regimen on big tanks that was SeaChem Flourish, Iron, Potassium, Excel, Nitrogen, phoshorus, TMG, Kent freshwater plant, and DuplaPlant 24 drops. I carried all that crap around with me to every tank-- and dosed them all full stength. Over time I scaled it down to where now it's pretty much just a trace, an iron, and K, and tanks do fine. (ADA equivalent is Step 2, Brighty K, and ECA, w/ occaisional Green Gain after big trimming).

#18 ·
jsenske said:
I'm using ADA STEP series on my small tanks, but still use SeaChem on the big tanks. I used TMG for years too-- and actually I used to have this crazy dosing regimen on big tanks that was SeaChem Flourish, Iron, Potassium, Excel, Nitrogen, phoshorus, TMG, Kent freshwater plant, and DuplaPlant 24 drops. I carried all that crap around with me to every tank-- and dosed them all full stength. Over time I scaled it down to where now it's pretty much just a trace, an iron, and K, and tanks do fine. (ADA equivalent is Step 2, Brighty K, and ECA, w/ occaisional Green Gain after big trimming).
no need for additional no3 and po4 these days?

#20 ·
CSM+B, mainly because in starting out I could get all the ferts from one place. I'm thinking about trying Flourish though.

#26 ·
Well I think it is necessary because I get yellow growth if I don't dose, greener if I do. In my experience I got Algae too if my macro nutrients were limited. In my case Phosphate. The plants growth slowed and the trace ferts went to the algae instead of the plants.

That said every tank is different. Some may have 4wpg others only 2. Others use Co2 some don't. Lots of stem plants plant vs slow growers and so on. There are many variables. Trace dosing is kinda on a case by case perhaps? Many folks start with a base dose wait a few weeks and then fine tune to suit the needs of their tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.