Aquatic Plant Forum banner

75 GALLON non-Pauldarium Dart Frog tank.

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MATTHEW MAHLING 
#1 ·
I got my buddy here in SF interested in Darts last fall.
First I convinced him to create a 5 gallon holding viv. Than I had him half way through creating a 10 gallon viv with a small water feature. When this Oceanic systems tank came available with stand, 2 55watt cf bulbs, hood, cork bark back ground, moss, an over grown fern and cypress moss, and a built in ultra sonic humidify became available for a few hundred bucks.
Oh and bought a few Dendrobates Tincorius darts to live in it as well.
I went to work on a bottle of congnac, trimming and planting the thing right off the bat last spring.
Tanks grown big time since these pics but, thery are all I got for now.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

For the any of the Denro-core who see this no mixed morph lectures needed,
besides not my tank for those decisions.

See less See more
#5 ·
Well Dale, I have 1 in an 18 gallon h. I'ts great. I can add 1 more. Think I need a male. The general rule is supose to be 5 gallon per frog some go 10g per frog. If I were you for a pair go with a 15-18 gallon high. It's the same foot print anyway right, and the azureus like to climb a little too.

#8 ·
The bottom one was really small ... I'd say you're right on with the size reference.

It's sad ... even in Costa Rica it's hard to find these little guys. The only places I've found them on my last 2 trips to Costa Rica (2002, 2004) were on private reserves. These pics were taken here: Rainmaker Costa Rica Conservation Project, rainforest, camping, exploring, protection

The public parks have very little in terms of amphibians.

Thanks re: the pics! It's unreal down there ... you should go.

#9 ·
that Pumilio on the bottom is beautiful...The mint on it's legs is great. Also if Im not mistaken, that would have been the one that you should'nt touch...not that you should touch any of them, but some can pretty much kill you on the spot in the wild...

and I have noticed my D. azureus love to climb also, the same goes for the black and yellow Luco's...

I've always had good luck Giving the females more space and over filling the tank with males later for breeding. Also the Azures, Auratus and some of the tri-colors are generally big adults. If your not considering breeding, You could fit 2 mabye 3 males of the smaller species it a 10 gallon with enough hiding spots...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.