Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Where have the leaders gone?

6K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  bookpage 
#1 ·
Ok, summer is over and it's time to get the club back rolling again. Tex Gal has brought up the fact to have a meeting in mid October but I yet to hear any confirmations of a time/date/place. I keep waiting for the activity level to pickup to start referring people over to our club for not wanting to loose them from lack of activity. I yet to see it picking up. I under summertime gets slow from people taking vacations but summertime is over. I enjoyed attending my first meeting at Tex Gal's house back in August. Time August meeting rolled around, September meeting details should have been set and October meeting details in the final stages. I understand people get busy with their families, careers, etc. but you choose to take on the responsibilities of being the leaders of our club. If you no longer feel like you can handle the burden and responsibilities of being leaders in our club, then step down. Let us elect people into position who can handle the duties of being leaders of our club and drive us forward into a thriving club.

#2 ·
I think it just that niko is busy, and tex gal is going out of town.
no one wants to set a date... what about just getting to together for a dinner some where... what ever happen to having the meeting at the fish gallery? if I had the space I would let people come over.

#6 ·
I'm out of town and just checked into the forum. I'm not a leader but a member like everyone else. I really don't know who are all the official members. Niko is the president, I think. He's in the throws of a new business so is probably really pushed for time. I'll be back in town on Sunday. Niko will be posting in today sometime. We will get this going again. Don't get discouraged

#7 ·
I've belonged to MANY volunteer organizations. As MacFan suggests, anyone who can organize or host a meeting should just go ahead and announce it. I really liked the idea of the Fish Gallery meeting, or any other place where we can see more planted tanks!

--Michael

#8 ·
there is a some what of a meeting saturday, it's in my car it's a drive down to mudboots house to get the fish and plants he is doing a RAOK. then I can split the plants up on who wants what.

what about a weekend dinner, the fish gallery, or dallas world aquarium?

#9 ·
Dallas world aquarium is pretty expensive at $25/person, I'm speaking for you here Joey. lol... I think when I'm not pushed to study for a test, I can probably kick my parents out for a few hours and have some people over. I'm about to set up my 120g so yall can help me with that! lol.

#10 ·
it was just an ideal... have you desided on keeping the stand, or making a new one?
next question, who has the space to host 20-35+ people?

#43 ·
The domain is register through GoDaddy. Renewal fee: $15 per year.
Hosting: Liquidweb.com - $15 per month = 180 per year.
Total: $195.00 per year = 10 (9.75) members full yearly membership($20ea).
I can host the website for $100.00 per year. I can also do changes and updates to it.

http://wacowebdesigns.com

I joined the club, but have not heard from anyone. Was just told about this site this week.

#14 ·
so a horse walks in to a bar and the bar tender says why the long face..

I'm not sure but I would like a meeting too.

#15 ·
I'm not a leader but I have hosted several get togethers in the past at my place in southwest Arlington and would be willing to do it again. I haven't seen many of the old guard members on the board lately but I've met a few of the new ones by posting free plants, endlers, cherry shrimp and guppies this year. We've also lost a few good members who've moved away. I've got a very busy schedule at work but can host on October 9th or 10th. I have a new 40 gallon breeder that I want to landscape with plants from 6 or 7 of my other tanks. It will probably be a CO2 setup but I'm not sure. We'll take a vote which way to go after reviewing my other 40G setups where only 1 has co2. It also depends on the scapes. I plan on tearing down 3 smaller tanks prior to the meeting.

Let me know. Last meeting, I didn't see any one post the details on the DFWAPC web site. Is that still up and running and can anyone setup meeting announcements there through the email response system?

#16 ·
@Crownman: Mike, good to see you online. You've been very good at help get us new members started with CRS and more clippings. We thank you.

@DFWAPC: From our out of date website, it shows that we have a structured leaders within our club. So where are they? Why won't that thank charge on planning. I know this is a volunteer organization. I have no problems with getting things organized and setup. I am a very busy person but I have no problems with making/finding time to get things happening. My problem is I refuse to put energy/efforts into getting things organized and setup if they are going to get shot down. I have pm Niko and other members with multiple ideas but yet to see anything rolling. This organization has fallen apart like our national economy. We have the potential to be a great club again but it will not happen with the current path of lack of leadership. It's time for a change. This is a democratic organization that is for the aquatic people by the aquatic people. I feel its time to call for a change of administration and elect new club officers. Niko may have been the founder of the organization but the lack of leadership deems him unfit for the position of the organization's president. I want to nominate Tex Gal (Drenda) to be on the ballot as presidential candidate in DFWAPC.

#17 ·
ANARCHY ANARCHY, :smile: one who has the house space?
I've got the space but no where to put the dogs or the parents.
we need to get something rolling... what ever happened to the fish gallery ideal?

here is my ideal.

he have a october meeting at the fish gallery.
mike (crownman) said he had a 55g tank, and a t5 no light fixture with a bad ballast. one of use could get the tank clean it out, fix the light fixture. pitch in money for would to build a stand, then we go to macfan's place and build the stand... that only leaves us with having to find a filter, then we set up the tank at the fish gallery and have a meeting...

just hanging out is fine with me too.

#19 · (Edited)
Hey guys and gals, sorry if I'm intruding, but I've been following this thread and it sounding kinda familiar to what NASH went through awhile back (even before I moved to Houston). Founders start clubs for reasons, and officers take charge for a reason. But, eventually, those initial folks get busy living the other parts of their lives and no longer have time to devote like they had before. So, you get to where DFWAPC seems to be right now.

Right now is probably a great time for members of the club to take a serious look at how much time they'd be willing to devote and nominate themselves for leadership roles (or give some encouragement to someone who you'd like to see "in charge" ).

What digital_gods is proposing can be good for the club as long as there are at least 2-3 people willing to take on the leadership roles. Otherwise, you end up with 1 person running the group, and they'll eventually get burned out having to bear all the responsibility. This is especially critical when deciding how to spend the club's dues. It is no easy task arranging speakers, contests, prizes, field trips, group orders for supplies/literature/etc... when several people want to give their opinions but leave all the "work" on the shoulders of the 1 person who happens to be in charge.

In the meantime, while people take an opportunity to evaluate what role they want to play in DFWAPC, the best thing a club can do is just what you all seem to be pushing for...get together wherever you all can meet up and swap plants, ideas, etc... and have fun.

#20 ·
Davemonkey, truer words were never spoken. These melt-downs occur in all volunteer organizations. The solution is not to get angry and start a new club. The solution is for the people with time and energy to take charge. Unfortunately, I am over-committed already with membership in three other volunteer groups.

My advice: keep it simple. Crownman offered to host a meeting at his place. This is the easiest thing to do--no coordination with Fish Gallery, no moving tanks, equipment, and livestock all over DFW. What people really want is to meet each other face-to-face, talk about and look at planted aquaria, and trade plants. Minimal structure and planning will be enough.

I would love to see Crownman's set-ups. I suggest October 10. Joe will be back from Nacogdoches, and can tell us about his trip. If people want anything to eat or drink, they can bring it themselves.

Just do it!

#21 ·
@Davemoney: You nailed it square on.

@DFWAPC:The active rolls I can play is webmaster and coordinating arrangements. I cannot host any meetings at my place. My house is too small for our group. How about everyone post what they can and cannot do for our club.

#22 ·
How about we start building some ground for consistency with setting a monthly meeting for every second Sunday afternoon or something to that nature. The locations may very but the time/day would stay the same unless outing planned for that day. Just a thought. I'm not coping an attitude about our club, but instead apply enough pressure to get people thinking and tanking. Trying to get people motivated to stand up and make a difference with helping in DFWAPC.

#23 ·
I'm CAN meet people to trade/swap, or give plants to others members. I can help with tanks,and help build simple stands.

I can't host, as I don't have the space.

I can mod the dfwapc board.

#24 ·
Have attended many a meeting and met some good friends through meetings. Monthly meetings are great...but for so many this is a hard one.

Has anyone pondered quarterly meetings??
If something special pops up and an unscheduled meeting can be arranged for something special ..... great. Just a thought!!!
We trade our goodies and enjoy sharing pearls of wisdom~~~

#25 ·
Since email notification is not working through the club web site, make a decision about a meeting time and place. Then post it here, on DFW Fish Box, and email announcements to anyone who may be interested with the request that they forward to anyone they know who would be interested.

It's not perfect, but it will get to most people.

Sheesh! When did I become a "Senior Member"?

#26 ·
I think that you become a "senior" when your post count gets to a certin number.
some one just post a date,I want to get out the house....

#28 ·
well then where's the chickens. chicken it just taste so good.
I'll hang out, why does it just have to be about plants and fish.
what about a dinner, or just being getting together at dave and busters ?

#29 ·
Ah well well!

We all know that it's very easy to pick up the club meetings again. I was hoping that Mike (CrownMan) could host this October because I understand there are quite a few new people that need not only to get good advice but also to see great planted tanks. And Mike is just about perfect because he makes everything look so easy. Then the new folk could be introduced to the MacFan aquarium lifestyle maybe :D

Here's the thread about the Oct. meeting so it's easily visible:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...club/73845-dfwapc-october-meeting-2010-a.html

--Nikolay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.