Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Eheim 2217 enough?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Left C

iTrader Ratings: 3
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
Left C is a regular member
:
Default Re: Eheim 2217 enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Hi Left C,
Thank you very much for the response, Michael.

Quote:
The circulation in my tank is clockwise, but that doesn't matter. It is set up that way because it was easier to hide the equipment on the right side of the tank.
I have my 40 breeder set up to flow in a counterclockwise direction. I have my intake and spraybar on the left side. This is the way that was shown how to set it up in an Eheim filter manual. It is not because of the Coriolis Effect.

Quote:
The powerhead is a generic submersible fountain pump, the kind with suction cup feet on the bottom. It sticks to the glass on the left side so that the flow is directed along the back glass to the right.
I've added a small Rio 50 powerhead to the right side. Its feet are on its backside. It is placed on the right side pane blowing toward the left side. It flows about 60 gph or thereabouts. It is actually enough to cause the water to flow in a counterclockwise direction all by itself. This surprised me! With it turned off, I still get a counterclockwise flow from the intake and spraybar.

Quote:
The discussion about flow, gyre, and circulation is at http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...iltration.html It's a long read, but worth it!
Thank you for the link. I'll be glad to read it.
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote