Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Rimless 10 gallon moss scape

97K views 165 replies 55 participants last post by  foofooree 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, I broke down my 10 gallon "XL Nano" and removed the rims. This took FOREVER! Getting the silicone residue off took a very long time. I am going to have a variety of mosses in here and maybe some anubias nana petite. I will probably keep some crystal red shrimp or snowball shrimp or something like that. Light will probably be 20 watts of compact florescent with two bags off $3 a bag black sand as substrate and minimal fert dosing, I wanna keep this a low budget tank, using thing that I already have so I can save up my money to start a 24 gallon aquapod reef tank with 150 watt metal halide lighting and sweet moonlights! Cant wait!
tank waiting to be tested:

testing:

and while looking at this view:

The tank BROKE!:mad:

haha, jk, jk, it didnt break:heh:
tank full of water:

I will finally get the sand on monday. I was going to get it Thursday, but didnt have time, Saturday, I went to get the sand, and the store was closed. So hopefully monday, I can get this thing cycling!
More to come later.

See less See more
#10 ·
ok, I made little "stands" or "legs" for the light fixture out of an old coat hanger, took like 20 minutes

and in use(you can see how the water has cleared, and I love the "ripple" of the light reflecting off of the water that you can see on my walls now)

edit: you can see how I have a cherry shrimp in there to help start the cycle, and when algae starts to grow, to keep that in check, until there is algae, I will feed it a small pellet of food every other day (so you know I'm not starving it :p)
edit part 2: you can also see that I added some pennywort in there until the tank settles in)

#12 ·
not sure about the rust, there is some kind of plastic like coating on them, so we'll see, if they do rust, then I will put some plasti-dip on them. They dont shift side to side because they fit the glass pretty well and are pretty sturdy.

#14 ·
Yeah, I love it too! i just got it that day from wallmart, my old one was red and had stopped working, it was only 12 bucks, and the tv was my combined chritmas/b-day gift from my parents and cousins ans aunts and grandparents (lol) and I love it, 32 inches of lcd awesomeness:cool::mrgreen::rolleyes:

#29 ·
Sorry, no new updates until I get back home. I'm sure there will be an algae update though:mad:. All of my tanks will be updated sunday night or monday. I'm sure there will be plants that need to be trimmed in my anubias garden, so check the for sale section monday if you are interested.;)

#37 ·
I've changed where some of the plants are and took out the stems and nana. I will be adding a few more pieces of petite in a few days and will post updates when I do. I might be adding pressurized CO2 if I feel like I want to split a 10 or 15 foot line off of my new tank that I will be getting in a few days!(so excited!!) but I'm not sure if I should

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.