Originally Posted by totziens
Here are some comments about ADA Amazonia shared among my friends:
1. Amazonia 1 (heard from friends)
Advantage: does not disintegrate as easily as Amazonia 2
Disadvantage: cloudy water during initial setup
2. Amazonia 2 (personal experience)
Advantage: Almost no cloudy water during initial setup
Disadvantage: Will disintegrate after less than 6 months
3. The latest new Amazonia (personal experience)
Advantage: No cloudy water during initial setup and I heard it does not disintegrate as easily as Amazonia 2
Disadvantage: None that I know of so far
I personally think Amazonia 2 is crap and not worth the money spent on it.
Here's my opinion.
1. Amazonia I, The best soil I've ever used. There are some problems with the water color, on initial setup. There are some problems with algae on the initial setup if pH is not lower than 6-6.3. For some time Amazonia I is lowering KH to 1-2 and pH. It has the most nutritions. Color of the soil is much better than Amazonia II
2. Amazonia II Because it has less nutritions than Amazonia I, there are no problems at initial setup. Better ability to lower KH and pH than Amazonia II.
3. New Amazonia. No problems with watre color. ADA says that it has twice more nutritions than Amazonia, but most of people says that, on Amazonia I they did use Special Lights after 6 months, on New Amazonia they had to start it on the second month.
In my opinion and most of my friends, Amazonia I is the best of Aquasoil.
Please don't say that Amazonia is expensive, some people in some countries have to pay $40 for a bag