So I finally got around to putting some of the Safe T Sorb #7941 in an aquarium last night; this is what it looks like with some stems from my emersed setup. This tank has no CO2 so it will interesting to see how the emersed stems do.
Apistogramma cacatoides 'Triple Red' in 10 gallon using Safe t sorb #7941
Here are my impressions compared with Soilmaster Select Charcoal (SMS):
Definitely more dusty; at least 5 rinses per bucket before adding to the tank.
Uneven particle size from sand particles to 4X SMS size; SMS was fairly uniform
About the same weight as SMS and Turface.
Nice color variation in the particles; much better than Kitty Litter. The colors shown in the picture are almost exactly the colors in my tank.
I will be taking water parameters in the morning and see what the effect if any it has on the tap water.
7/26/12 I tested my water in the Safe T Sorb aquarium today and it is typical of what I have seen with other Monmorillonite clay substrates. My tank had a PH of 6.0 and was <1.0 dKH and <4.0 dGH. My water is typically very soft and comes out of the tap with a 7.8 PH but after sitting for 24 hours drops down to about 7.0 PH. I set aside some tap water this afternoon and will test it tomorrow.
7/27/12 I tested our tap water that had been sitting out for 24 hours and it has a PH of 7.0 - 7.2, a 2.0 dKH and 6.0 dGH so it appears that the high CEC of the clay has reduced the levels down to what I took yesterday. I did add enough NaHCO2 (baking soda) to raise the dKH by 1.0 degree and enough Seachem Equilibrium to raise the dGH by 1.0 degree. I also fertilized with 1.0 ml of Seachem Comprehensive. The emersed stems I planted seem to be doing well with no melting, new leaves starting to emerge and the existing leaves turning towards the light.