08-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
| | Re: Need help with algae outbreak
Algae issues are so bizarre. There are a number of steps I have used over the years when I have had these types of algae issues. All of them have worked to some degree.
1. 3 Day tank blackout - I've used this one once on a 40 gallon CO2 tank that developed BBA and Green Slime algae everywhere. Basically, I wrapped the 4 sides of the tank with trash bags, removed all the lights and covered the tank with cardboard. I left the filters running and fed the fish as usual. I don't totally block the top and put in an air stone and air pump. Performed a 50% water change prior to the blackout and after 3 days, uncovered the tank, removed all infected plants and performed another 50% water change. I also turned off my Co2 during this period and dosed every day with Excel at 4 times strength. Also, strip and clean your Rena XP4 external filter before and after this treatment. Be careful not to kill the beneficial bacteria the filter provides.
2. If I had BBA, I always use Excel and a syringe to spray Excel on the affected areas of the plant. Even if I am using other methods to get rid of other types of algae. If I can, I will remove the plant and dip it in Excel for about 1 minute every day for a week. This has had good results for me.
3. I have treated Cyanobacterial algae infestations with a good antibiotic.
4. I used to run my lights about 10-12 hours a day but have cut that down to 8.5 hours and all 7 tanks are on a timer.
5. I do test for Nitrates, Nitrites, Phosphorus and Ammonia when I have a breakout but in the last 3 or 4 years I've been lucky. Partially because I keep my tanks overgrown and plants will out compete algae for excess nutrients. I also don't have overstock the tank with fish.
Check with mooncon about how he treated his Discus tank when it got overgrown with algae. We were at his home for a meeting earlier this year and he had just overcome a severe algae breakout in his 100 gallon tank. His tanks looked great.
Hope this helps.