Journal of 75 Gallon DIY Projects (Lots of Pictures) - Page 8 - DIY Aquarium Projects - Aquatic Plant Central

Go Back   Aquatic Plant Central > General Interest Forums > DIY Aquarium Projects

DIY Aquarium Projects For those that are handy or looking to save some money, discuss your DIY aquarium projects here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
sonaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eagle River, Alaska
Posts: 88
iTrader Ratings: 5
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
sonaps is a regular member
Default Re: Journal of 75 Gallon DIY Projects (Lots of Pictures)

Endgin33, itís funny that you should ask about the pump. The pump started to act up last week. I guess ignoring the issue didnít resolve it. I heard some weird noises, even through my ďquiet boxĒ, and found that the pump was cycling on and off every several minutes. I disconnected it and tested it in difference conditions, even submerged in cold water, and it continued to cycle on and off. So, lesson learned Ė donít make a mag drive work for its supply water. For now Iíve closed that portion of my loop and put a powerhead in the tank with my CO2 feeding into the intake of the powerhead. Iíve also added a heater to the tank since the heater was on that loop as well. That works for now; until I get around to redesigning the heater/reactor and ordering a new pump.

Bunny 1978, are you sure you are getting 100% dissolution, or is it possible that some of the gas makes it through your media before itís 100% dissolved? In any case I donít think that bio balls would solve the problem. The way things are set up now the bubble doesnít have to grow that large for the water level to get below the pump inlet. And there will always be a small bubble that builds in this type of reactor. I think that moving the pump down will be the best solution for me. I have even considered putting the heater on the right (or inlet side) and the reactor on the left (or output).
sonaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
sonaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eagle River, Alaska
Posts: 88
iTrader Ratings: 5
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
sonaps is a regular member
Default Re: Journal of 75 Gallon DIY Projects (Lots of Pictures)

Unfortunately the mag drive wasnít the only thing to stop working recently. My ballast, which Iíve really, really liked decided that it wanted to stop working too. I tried a lot of different things to test the ballast, but apparently itís completely dead. I still had the 2-bulb ballast that I got from Clint (see earlier posts) last year. So I changed the dead ballast out and connected only 2 of the bulbs to the working ballast. Of course I had a reduction in growth and stunting in some plants. Some of the high light plants started looking bad enough that I eventually went back to see Clint. Luckily he was in when I dropped by and was nice enough to hook me up with 2 more 2-bulb ballasts (he didnít have any 4-bulb ballasts in). I added another 2 bulb ballast over the weekend and the light systemís working great again. In fact I think I like the current setup even better because now if a ballast goes out I donít lose all the light. Itís also easier and cheaper to change out a 2-bulb ballast than a 4-bulb one.
sonaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Aquatic Plant Central > General Interest Forums > DIY Aquarium Projects > Journal of 75 Gallon DIY Projects (Lots of Pictures)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1