Hey all. Have pretty much cut and paste this from another forum, so apologies to those that may have seen it already. For the rest of you, this is what I have been up to of late
So I managed to score four weeks off work, over the festive period, and, after spending most of that time O'D-ing on NFL football (something that is still very foreign to me, but I am slowly learning) and meat pies, I decided to bite the bullet and spend the last week actually being creative.
I have been nutting over ideas for a new stand for many, many months... My fave idea is the Jason Baliban Plywood under Formica ADA replica...however, Formica (Laminex) is far too expensive to justify. I kept being drawn back to MDF, as much as my common senses screemed protest. In the end, I figured, as long as it's sealed, and there are very few surfaces for water to sit, I should be sweet....also, it had to be seamless. Anyhoo, enough blathering...
The plan was to go with mitre cuts at every join. Hopefully this will keep water from settling anywhere, as well as give the smooth finish I wanted.
I started with a 45deg cut right down the legth of the MDF. This would form the basis for the sides and front, and ensure they were all identical in height and angle.
Two sides, done
All pieces cut. The doors were cut fom the full front section, again on the 45 angle.
Again for reasons of smoothness, I decided to have all screws located only at the sides of the stand, so any shadowing from puttied holes might be less obvious.
Extra pieces of MDF would have to be added to provide an anchor for the screws...
Time for a test fit. Just a screw here and there to get the idea... ^(don't worry, this was only for the pic...it does actullay line up )^
All good! All screws were taken out and two coats of paint placed between the side/end panels and their added pieces.
Screwed and puttied back together, I commenced painting interior surfaces...
After a good couple coats and a night to dry, it was out with the cordless and the screws, again...o, and my own custom blend of glues. Black aquarium silicone bordering Liquid Nails (Construction Adhesive)
And this is where I am up to. Yes, it has taken more than the one week I had planned...I used a roller on the outside, so I have a much cleaner finish than the brushstrokes on the inside panels.
I have painted the doors, but no pics yet. These are the handles I will use...a slight departure from the original clean requirement, but I would call it "semi-minimalist"
I have some of those desk grommets to fill the side/back holes, also.