02-05-2020, 02:27 AM
Join Date: Jan 2020
| | My Underwater Jungle
I'm proud to share my second attempt at a Walstad set-up - done by the book.
This time, I decided not to over-worry about how it 'looks' (hardscaping, arranging things), and rather, focus on the core principles of what I understand a no-tech setup to be about (high concentration of plants to work as the filter).
(Funnily enough, my first attempt which you can find in the forum is actually thriving. Here is a photo I took yesterday.
But I worry - and am kind of anticipating - things to die eventually die to the anaerobic gas build up probably happening.)
- Using a 12 litre/3 gallon bowl.
- I used Scott's Pure Organic Potting Mix (the Australian equivalent of Miracle Gro), sifted multiple times before being mixed with water to get out as many floaters as possible. Added 2.5cm to the bowl.
- Purchased standard aquatic gravel in black and added 3.8cm.
- Filled the tank with dechlorinated water (that was quite a pain to do, boiling 12 litres for 20 minutes and having to let it cool down to room temp).
- I bought and used as wide a variety of plants as possible, as per the list of plants Diana recommends as well as Foo The Flowerhorn on YouTube.
Here is how it look on Day 1!
- Echinodorus Grisebachii
- Riccia Fluitans, Rotala Bonsai
- Rotala Rotundifolia
- Coontail (Ceratophyllum Demerson)
- Dwarf Hair Grass (Eleocharis Acicularis)
- Narrow Leaf Chainsword (Echinodorus Tenellus)
- Thin Vallisneria
- Java Moss
- Waterweeds (Elodea/Anacharis)
- Frogbit (Limnobium Laevigatum)
- Duckweed (Lemnoideae)
Anything I should watch out for in the coming days/weeks?