i am by far a hardcore freshwater plant aquarist...i keep fw plants as a wonderful gigression from my main aquairum hobby of reef populated mainly by corals with a little fish...
i have a 29g tank that has been growing very nicely (except for some light nuisance algae)...
here is my equipment set up...
- 29g glass tank...got rid of the hood
- 150w metal halide with 5700k bulb on a hamilton reefstar reflector with electronic ballast suspended about 12 inches above the water
- ebo-jager 150w heater
- 100% eco-complete substrate with a thin peat bottom layer
- 1 med size driftwood
- ecco 2236 canister filter (so incredibly easy to use and maintain) filled with biological substrate, coarse and fine mechanical filter
- 5lb co2 cylinder
- jbj co2 regulator
- aquamedic 1000 co2 reactor
- reef fanatic ph controller
plants are the $30 group from aquatic depot from yahoo. they are cheap for the quality of plants you get, healthy, generous in size and have grown very nicely.
fish are two med discus, 4 rummy nose tetra's, 5 serpae tetras and 6 cardinal tetra's...
i change 5-10g per week with 2/3 ro/di and 1/3 tap. chemicals i add are cycle and novaqua to the water change...um, water. i add seachem flourish every so often and flourish tabs once every 3 months.
that's about it. i trim the tank once every two months or so. yes, it does get very overgrown but my fish dont seem to mind!