02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Join Date: Apr 2007
| | Re: If you could do it over again...
If I could do it all over again, I would do the setup only 2 40 gallon tanks. One low light and one high light.
For High Light
(1) Buy the best substrate to start the tank. ADA Aquasoil original or II. Yeah it costs more, but I consider it a one time expense for a substrate with about a 10 year life span which would last the life of the setup.
(2) Pressurized C02 with top of line regulator from Rex Grigg to avoid c02 inconsistency. Again, you get what you pay for and the last thing I want to worry about is a regulator malfunction.
(3) I would better plan placement of the tank and not do my typical jungle theme. I would add 15% floating plants and some fast growing "healthy" stem plants and jam pack the tank with "healthy" plants as an anti-algae measure.
(4) Estimative Index Fertilization.
(5) I would purchase top of the line 2x55 watt AH supply bright light kit for lighting.
(6) The fish would include Black mollies, Bristlenose pleco, Rosy Barbs, Florida Flagfish, otocats, and Amano Shrimp.
For Low Tech
(1) Jam pack tank with low light plants. Anubias, java moss, java ferns, crypts, etc.
(2) Better focus on plant placement and aquascaping from the start before plant growth takes off.
(3) No more than 80 watts compact fluorescent or T5 lighting.
(4) No c02 but Seachem Excel for Carbon.
(5) Hardy fish like black skirt tetras, zebra danios, other tetras, etc.,