03-03-2004, 01:14 AM
Join Date: Jan 2004
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
I am unsure as to what you are asking, but the soak I mentioned is meant to dissolve away those parts of the rock (carbonate-based portions) that would alter the tank's water chemistry. When you scratch the rock, you are increasing the surface area for the acid to react so that you would be better able to see the "fizzing" action, if any. When you do observe the fizzing, then the rock will alter the KH (and other parameters depending on the composition of the rock); and thus, should be discarded. However, if you are VERY attached to the rock, then a soak in a strong acid solution (like Muriatic acid, which is HCl) would hopefully remove the "bad" portion of the rock. I suggested that you should dilute the muriatic acid with water because the MA that the store sells has very pungent and dangerous fumes that aren't very good for you if inhaled.
Please let me know if I am misunderstanding your question.