Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Large Aquariums and Ponds (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/large-aquariums-ponds/)
-   -   BIG pond planning. (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/large-aquariums-ponds/113666-big-pond-planning.html)

Malex530. 05-16-2015 06:52 AM

BIG pond planning.

Hi all. I have a HUGE pond coming soon (within the next few years). It will be roughly 27,000 gallons probably less because of its odd size. So I needed compatability advice.

It will consist of an outdoor pond, having multiple shelves all the way from 1ft to 6-7 feet deep. It is strictly south American biotope with an exception to the bog plants. I am planning on lots of hornwort and Echinodorus species along with some Ludwigia and hair grass. Some mangroves for the shallows, and LOTS of driftwood and a large 1ft deep bog. Lilly pads, hyacinth, and water lettuce will be in the pond as well.

As for the fish, I definitely wanted 3-5 silver arowana.

The smaller fish I was not so sure about. With all the hiding places for them I think they would be fine with the arowana. I was looking into

Discus

Angelfish (scalare)

Cardinal tetra

Apistogrammas

If you have any other suggestions let me know, but I need them to be South American, but no FW rays as I will be in the pond for maintenance.

I also need a lot of algae eaters. I will size my filter based on my fish population.

Thanks in advance, if you need any more information let me know, but I have not figured out everything yet. -Alex M

AteItOffTheFloor 05-17-2015 08:03 AM

Re: BIG pond planning.

good luck enjoying your discus in a pond. Not much to see from thee top, but imagine diving into it and swimming with them.

Malex530. 05-17-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AteItOffTheFloor (Post 823418)
good luck enjoying your discus in a pond. Not much to see from thee top, but imagine diving into it and swimming with them.

Actually why I wanted to make this pond is because I love snorkeling but I can't go on vacation that often, and this will let me see more natural behaviors of the fish than what we see in aquariums.

Vishu1708 05-18-2015 09:58 AM

How about some pirahnas? :P kidding. :-)Sounds promissing! Cant wait to see it all done!!!

jamesh5918 03-27-2020 04:06 AM

Always thought it would be cool to have place a giant alligator gar in a pond.

GabrielleSimpsonC 08-26-2020 08:55 PM

Yes, multiple alligators would be great choices. Thus, you don't even need to spend money on protecting the pond ..

GabrielleSimpsonC 08-31-2020 03:34 PM

Cool that you will soon have a pond. I am sure that this is a great responsibility. Recently I had my own aquarium and it was very difficult for me to pick up fish, since I did not know how long they live. I had to spend a huge amount of time to get acquainted with different types of fish, as well as what they eat, their lifespan, what species can be kept together, and so on. Also, I had to be very creative while decorating the aquarium, as well as selecting all the necessary mechanisms to support it. And you have a whole pond ... I'm sure it will take you a lot of time and effort. But in any case, I'm sure you will succeed. Good luck! Please send photos of your final result

Michael 09-01-2020 05:34 AM

Gabrielle, sorry, but the original discussion is from 2015. You are unlikely to get a response. But welcome to APC!