Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/)
-   -   Glass top or not,,,how's your light mounted (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/13933-glass-top-not-hows-your-light.html)

Cal 02-27-2006 04:23 PM

Glass top or not,,,how's your light mounted

I just got my 48" JBJ light. I ordered it with the flip up stand's. I thought the stand's were so cool in the store. But when I put it on my tank and turned it on, I don't like the stand's at all. It look's great if you're standing, but if you're sitting down, all you see is the bright light's in the gap between the tank and light. It's really distracting.

It look's much better with out the stand's, but I'm afraid of too much heat building up if I use the glass top. I would still leave the top off, but I'm afraid the light will fall in. It's not real stable in that situation.

So, what have you guy's done. Thank's.

BryceM 02-27-2006 04:41 PM

I like the lights lower, close to the water and I also prefer a tight-fitting lid. I never needed to top-off to replace evaporation, even in hot weather. If you get the lights close you really need some sort of cover to keep the water out of the electronics. Even if the fish don't jump, they can splash, and the condensation around electrical fittings is a bad story waiting to be written.

I use a lexan cover that I had a glass store cut for me. It isn't breakable, can be cut in any shape, transmits light better than glass, and is very light. The downside is that it can be scratched and ammonia (windex) would glaze it.

If you have something enclosed you'll also be better off with a fan to keep it cool. Just my $0.05.

Cal 02-27-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guaiac_boy

If you have something enclosed you'll also be better off with a fan to keep it cool. Just my $0.05.

Just to clarify. The light I have is an enclosed unit with 3 fan's. It's not a retro-fit deal. You're not talking about another fan between the light and tank, since I'll have it so close are you.

jude_uc 02-27-2006 06:25 PM

I recently switched over to lights on legs with an open top. Even though I lose more water to evaporation, I think it looks much better. However, I think this is a purely aesthetic. If you prefer it with a closed top, I would do that.

-Adam

Cal 02-27-2006 06:40 PM

Well Adam, I would prefer the open top with the stand's. How ever. The light blind's me, so that aint happenin.:mmph:

Laith 02-28-2006 12:24 AM

For what it's worth, when I first tried open top with a similar lighting setup (Arcadia) I had the same issue with the bright light blinding me...

After a week or two I no longer noticed it and wouldn't go back to closed top unless I specifically had fauna that like to jump.

So maybe give it a week or two and then see if you're still bothered by it?

jrIL 02-28-2006 07:31 AM

I have the same setup using the legs and open top. You get used to the light. I will never go back to a glass top. When I tried it I did not go in to remove little things like dead leaves near as often as I do with the open top. I like it.

tazgan 02-28-2006 09:05 AM

I have removed my glass lid on my 90 gal tank but have a Sedona Series stand and canopy so my light in closed in yet no light escaping to obstruct your veiwing pleasure

trenac 02-28-2006 07:17 PM

I use the Coralife fixtures with legs and I don't see a problem with light between the gaps. I do have my shrimp tank with a glass top with the fixture laying directly on top of the glass, so far I've had no problems with heat buildup.

Cal 02-28-2006 08:05 PM

I don't mean for this to sound sarcastic, it's not. But, why do you guy's take the glass off. Just for look's, or what's the reason. Thank's.