Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   DIY Aquarium Projects (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/)
-   -   Moving Tank (from state to state) need help. (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/140993-moving-tank-state-state-need-help.html)

DutchMuch 05-04-2018 07:12 AM

Moving Tank (from state to state) need help.

So in exactly 1 month (well, june first) im moving to my grandmas house while my parents settle in their new house...
I have my 40b w/stand and its obviously high tech, dirted, with most places having a 1" sand cap, some even less maybe due to settling..

How the hell am i going to move this? We are probably going to rent a small Uhaul truck... But my main concern is:
How do i keep plants alive
what do i do with the fish i have
what do i do with the substrate
what else do i do?

Ive moved tanks from state to state before, and well... didn't go to great.

FromReefs2Plants 05-04-2018 11:32 AM

Re: Moving Tank (from state to state) need help.

i moved a 20g long reef tank 7 hours several times. Same as my little 5.5g natural planted tank.

For the planted tank, i simply drained the water down to where there was only 2" of water in it. Picked it up and placed it in my car. There was only a betta fish in it though. It did fine nothing died at all.

For your 40B i would suggest draining water all the way to the substrate and placing your fish in a 5g bucket. This is what I did with my live rock, corals, and fish and i didn't lose any.

The plants should be just fine as the substrate will still be very wet. you could also mist them if you were worried. It really depends on how long the move will take.

Break the tank down last and set it when you arrive. Not all the way set up, but get water in it and get the water moving.

DutchMuch 05-04-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromReefs2Plants (Post 979441)
i moved a 20g long reef tank 7 hours several times. Same as my little 5.5g natural planted tank.

For the planted tank, i simply drained the water down to where there was only 2" of water in it. Picked it up and placed it in my car. There was only a betta fish in it though. It did fine nothing died at all.

For your 40B i would suggest draining water all the way to the substrate and placing your fish in a 5g bucket. This is what I did with my live rock, corals, and fish and i didn't lose any.

The plants should be just fine as the substrate will still be very wet. you could also mist them if you were worried. It really depends on how long the move will take.

Break the tank down last and set it when you arrive. Not all the way set up, but get water in it and get the water moving.

thanks very much for the reply,
Would the plants dry out if i lowered it below 1" of water? i would of course wrap the top with plastic wrap no questions asked to keep as much humidity as possible in it.
I definitely do not wanna uproot the plants though. But i also dont want them to dry out... i could mist.

Drive is 10-12 hours to new house.

Fish in bucket is a can do. Suggest 5 gallon bucket? w/lid?

Maryland Guppy 05-04-2018 12:09 PM

Good reason to pull all plants, have a huge plant sale and re-arrange.

Phish in a bucket I've done for several days with an air stone. Cover in case of jumpers.

Lesswater for capped soil the better, a good slosh may mix things up.

DutchMuch 05-04-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy (Post 979465)
Good reason to pull all plants, have a huge plant sale and re-arrange.

Phish in a bucket I've done for several days with an air stone. Cover in case of jumpers.

Lesswater for capped soil the better, a good slosh may mix things up.

Thank you for your reply!
"Good reason to pull all plants, have a huge plant sale and re-arrange."
Noooo can do... not doing that again *facepalm* took me like 1 year to get it how it is now!

hoppycalif 05-04-2018 01:01 PM

I have had success using a styrofoam box to hold the fish, so the water temperature wouldn't fluctuate so much. I got the box at a big grocery store, sold as a cooler. I always restart the tank from bare tank on up when I do this. There should be no cycling problem if you have kept the plants wet, so the bacteria on them remains alive. And, reusing the filter uncleaned is also a good idea.

DutchMuch 05-04-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppycalif (Post 979497)
I have had success using a styrofoam box to hold the fish, so the water temperature wouldn't fluctuate so much. I got the box at a big grocery store, sold as a cooler. I always restart the tank from bare tank on up when I do this. There should be no cycling problem if you have kept the plants wet, so the bacteria on them remains alive. And, reusing the filter uncleaned is also a good idea.

Thank you hoppy for the reply, id but most filter media in the bucket w/fish i believe... just so they have some personal space. or something to lean on cause i know the road that we are going to travel on and sometimes its flat as all get out, sometimes its gravel.
As for the plants, now that i have your .02$ on that, i think my plan for them as far as now is to:

1- Drop the tank water to under 1" or 1" exactly.
2- Put plastic wrap on the tanks top to keep in humidity
3- mist well every hour

does this plan sound... full proof? surely 1" of water couldn't undo the soil cap.
one thing im sure of is im not tearing the tank down, IE taking plants out, etc.

clownaroundclown 05-06-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchMuch (Post 979537)
Thank you hoppy for the reply, id but most filter media in the bucket w/fish i believe... just so they have some personal space. or something to lean on cause i know the road that we are going to travel on and sometimes its flat as all get out, sometimes its gravel.

As for the plants, now that i have your .02$ on that, i think my plan for them as far as now is to:

1- Drop the tank water to under 1" or 1" exactly.

2- Put plastic wrap on the tanks top to keep in humidity

3- mist well every hour

does this plan sound... full proof? surely 1" of water couldn't undo the soil cap.

one thing im sure of is tearing the tank down, IE taking plants out, etc.

The water will slosh from side to side front to back and the substrate will be rearranged for you with a possibility of plants coming out or being uprooted
The least amount of water the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maryland Guppy 05-06-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchMuch (Post 979481)
Noooo can do... not doing that again *facepalm* took me like 1 year to get it how it is now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchMuch (Post 979857)

1 year? Really?
Hard to fathom that took 1 year to grow.
I've tossed more than what's in that whole tankin a week. :biggrin:
Thinning out them big clumps of hair grass might even help it's distribution.

DutchMuch 05-06-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy (Post 979881)
1 year? Really?
Hard to fathom that took 1 year to grow.
I've tossed more than what's in that whole tankin a week. :biggrin:
Thinning out them big clumps of hair grass might even help it's distribution.

no not a year to grow *that pic is after 43 weeks or so of growth i think*
a year to Make, ive been wanting to do this dutch tank for so long but my family keeps moving due to personal reasons :( So tearing it down would be like tearing my heart out of my chest :wave: lol