Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Filtration (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/filtration/)
-   -   Need advice on filtration. (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/filtration/143387-need-advice-filtration.html)

Bmoturtleco 05-30-2019 10:13 AM

Need advice on filtration.

Let me start off by saying i have had fish tanks off and on for over 20 years. Continually for 10 years. I set up a 75 gallon tank with alot of plants. Two Aquaclear 110's with 2 filter max pre-filters each. Two preset heaters. Two pawfly micro bubblers. I am unfortunately overstocked due to not realizing how much black mollies breed. I also have a very large goldfish. Multiple types of tetras. Chinese algae eaters. A blue lobster. Various cory cats and other small catfish. I have about 50 to 60 fish in total. I know getting rid of alot of fish would be the easiest answer.

My main issue is the massive amount of clogging and gunk in the filter. I am changing jobs and won't be home for almost 2 months. I need a way to alow my filters to flow and be somewhat stable for that time.

I am think of switching the filter media to only a combination of seachem matrix and purigen. No sponge other than the pre filters. I would like to know yalls oppinons and advice on the best way to keep my tank alive while im gone. I have n no one to look after it (other than feeding) for that time.

If there is a better way then this please let me know.

hoppycalif 05-30-2019 11:57 AM

Re: Need advice on filtration.

Welcome to APC! Filters on planted tanks are primarily for keeping the water clear, filtering out microscopic particles. Traditionally they also have bio balls, etc. in them to allow lots of nitrifying bacteria to live on. And, some people use Purigen to help keep the water from being brown from the wood pieces in their aquascape. But, none of those things are essential, as far as the occupants of the tank are concerned. I think, if I was in your shoes, I would keep no more than coarse sponges in the filters while I was away for so long. I think the occupants of the tank would do fine with that.

Bmoturtleco 05-31-2019 11:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some pics for further insight. My plant load is light in these. But i have about 50 or so more plants going in soon.

Michael 05-31-2019 01:05 PM

Sorry to say it, but this thank is overstocked and you don't have enough healthy plants to handle the biofiltration. If you are not able to maintain the tank for two months you really need to rehome most of the fish.

Bmoturtleco 06-02-2019 08:27 AM

Sadly my new job fell thru. So i wont have the time away. I found someone to take the goldfish and the black mollies. I added more plants as well. I will keep yall updated on the progress.

hoppycalif 06-02-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmoturtleco (Post 998379)
Sadly my new job fell thru. So i wont have the time away. I found someone to take the goldfish and the black mollies. I added more plants as well. I will keep yall updated on the progress.

Good luck with a new job! Life can interfere with our hobbies at times.