Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   New to Planted Aquariums (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/new-planted-aquariums/)
-   -   Decided to do a 150 planted tank (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/new-planted-aquariums/143819-decided-do-150-planted-tank.html)

troybernard 10-27-2019 07:14 AM

Decided to do a 150 planted tank

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all. I decided to post in the new section as my last planted tank was in 2014 and that one was my first. I have a standard 6’ 150 gallon tank that was a salt water reef tank that I want to set up as a fresh planted tank. It has a fluval canister filter as well as an overflow and sump. I will probably go with just the fluval as I want to do CO2 again.

The lights I have are the hydra 26’s x 3. Will these work for a med to hi planted tank of this size? I believe the depth is around 30” I believe.

What are your recommendations for this tank?

I’d like it to be similar to the 55 I had a few years back. Pic attached. Looking to buy some plants as well if anyone has a trim coming up.

hoppycalif 10-27-2019 10:18 AM

Re: Decided to do a 150 planted tank

I don't think those lights are a good choice for a planted tank. From what I can see by Googling them it looks like they are typical reef light, very bright in the blue/violet range but not much red light. Plants need red light to do as well as they can do, and the aquascape looks a lot better with less blue and more red. You wouldn't want more than about 100 PAR light intensity at the substrate on a planted tank, and that would be so high you would have to use pressurized CO2, optimized to meet the plant's needs. Something in the 50 or so PAR range would be much better for most planted tanks.

troybernard 10-27-2019 08:59 PM

Any recommendations?

Marty.h 10-28-2019 02:38 PM

Running a sump you will struggle to keep CO2 in the water

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

mistergreen 10-28-2019 03:36 PM

With a planted tank that big, you probably won't need a sump. Your fluval will be fine.
You can have CO2 and a sump but you'll need to inject more than needed.

troybernard 10-30-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty.h (Post 1001233)
Running a sump you will struggle to keep CO2 in the water

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I am most likely going to just run the fluval, in fact I am just going with the fluval. I need to figure out the lighting for the 28” or so deep tank. I’m not very good at the whole par thing.

fishyjoe24 10-30-2019 07:22 PM

a sump and c02 can be done. just cover the sump so there is less c02 gas exchange . I just set up a 150 with a sump but the only plants that will demand c02 are the mini dwarf hairgrass. plenty of people run planted tanks with sumps.

NYRkorey 02-13-2020 08:56 AM

For lighting I've be2n running 2x 4 feet fluval spectrum light 3.0s , they are great, they are bluetooth so you can set everything on a timer without actually having to use a time, just download the fluval app and your good to go. They are about 200 a pop though