Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Aquascaping (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/)
-   -   Syngonium to help polish water... (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/143967-syngonium-help-polish-water.html)

Stan510 12-27-2019 04:34 PM

Syngonium to help polish water...

3 Attachment(s)
I stuck a few rooted cuttings from my backyard in Cali, into the cutout for filters on my 35 year old + Acrylic Tru Vuu 240 gallon aquarium. It grew..then it grew well...then it just did great. As it got larger,my aquariums hair and blue green algae eventually disappeared after plaguing me for a year and a half.

Eventually,it took over the left cutout directly over the tank. I trim what comes forward off. I would say its made a huge impact especially after dosing the big tank with Seachem Iron. Plants that were so-so have taken off,and since the photos,I added some nice plants I had avoided before because I figured algae would just coat them and,or,they would not grow period.

Now,this tank gets sunlight from that big window and to get big growth you would have to use an intense artificial light..what kind is up to you..but a dedicated light for the Syngonium is a must.

The Syngoniums roots are both free flowing..and some have made to the bottom of the 24" deep tank and into the sand. Fish lover to swim in the surface roots and stems. I even get underwater leaves as the weight of the plant pushes leaves underwater ( eventually they rot and I remove them) but it looks like an underwater Philodendron.
Now,I've tried Pothos...Pothos is good..but it wants to climb and if its roots touch a wall,they cement themselves to it. Spathiphyllum is very good too..you might try that and it flowers.
I can't believe what a difference it makes...removes nitrates like crazy,tints from foods and I notice,takes the smell out of the water..no fishy or earthy smell...mostly no smell at all.
Thanks!

Michael 12-28-2019 07:06 AM

Re: Syngonium to help polish water...

Here is a second endorsement for Syngonium--it has worked well for me too.

Stan510 12-29-2019 08:40 AM

Funny thing about Syngonium is that its a vine..yet grows compact like a groundcover. I've seen youtube vids of it by a tropical stream and it grew along the banks like a perennial plant...not a vine.
Pothos gets a lot publicity as an aquarium nitrite and nitrate remover but that habit of vining is strong and it will send long runners to either trail or attach to the wall like i said.
There's even a pinkish Syngonium sold...not sure how well it would do. It might revert to green indoors.

mistergreen 12-29-2019 10:23 AM

You can use the ornamental, small elephant ear plants as well. I think they're a distant relative to Syngonium. I've even grown some aquatic plants emersed.

Stan510 12-30-2019 08:49 AM

Its been pounded into our heads what an aquarium must be...with gadgets everywhere and cords and powerstrips buzzing away that we forget that sunlight is good and plants can filter the water Carbon for smells? Not if you have thick masses of plant roots. IMMERSED plants the best. It's why cities use cattails and marsh plants,and not submerged plants or not so much.
A really advanced aquarist would consider it normal to use houseplants in separate basins..with the big Aquarium's water fed into that and then returned to the tank. Done in a nice esthetic way rather than how it's done in greenhouse setups with ugly basins and white PVC pipe everywhere.
It can be done to look nice..nature does it.

mistergreen 12-30-2019 08:58 AM

I use water iris for my pond. These plants are beasts at soaking up nutrients. Water hyacinths also. You can have a sump of water hyacinth out of the way to give your aquatic plants some light.

Stan510 12-30-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistergreen (Post 1002419)
I use water iris for my pond. These plants are beasts at soaking up nutrients. Water hyacinths also. You can have a sump of water hyacinth out of the way to give your aquatic plants some light.

Really,if you live in a mild climate you really could put a pond/ marsh/basin outdoors and plumb it return to the tank. In a place like Florida or South Texas that would be much,more doable. In that kind of setup..you can grow rotifers and daphnia...with that being an extra food source for the fish in your mega sized front room show tank. All you need is a strong pump...no calcium reactors,no protein skimmers,no this and that and then more!..just moving water.
No Co2. You're not contributing to GW.

I've added star grass,Alternanthera and in a few months will update the look. Just moving twisty branches into the Syngonium roots looks super jungly...like they are all one plant. Fish love it.

mistergreen 12-31-2019 08:08 AM

I have a bog pond separate from the fish pond. That's where the water iris are planted. I had to cull the plants because they were growing too much. I grow edible plants in the bog as well.

There are non parasitic leech living in the gravel substrate. I'm sure they're good eating for the goldfish.

GadgetGirl 01-01-2020 03:39 PM

Paging @dwalstad :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

GadgetGirl 01-02-2020 07:32 AM

Retrieving one right now from the my sunroom! I just hope it turns out like yours! I've been growing syngoniums for 40 years and never thought about putting it in tank. I have a pothos that's doing amazing and is anchored to the window. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f5aad65a2a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk