Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Algae (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/algae/)
-   -   Algae and Iron (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/algae/144045-algae-iron.html)

hoppycalif 03-07-2020 09:07 AM

Re: Algae and Iron
 
My experimenting is hitting a snag! Before you can do a comparative test you have to be able to keep the two tanks growing equally, when they are set up equally. I haven't yet been able to do this. One tank is doing better than the other. And, neither is doing as well as I want. So, I'm thinking about adding/changing some plants. One thing I'm learning is that having floating plants, at least when they are Salvinia minima, it takes a lot of attention to keep those plants from blocking all of the light. They grow very fast! I have removed all of it, except what is contained in small plastic rings. But, even with that I need to remove excess plants weekly. I wish I had some hygro polysperma, but it is illegal to ship into California. I'm watching for someone selling it locally.

barongan 03-08-2020 07:49 AM

Re: Algae and Iron
 
interesting threadhttps://babang.xyz/assets/5/o.png

Yorkie 03-18-2020 11:33 AM

Re: Algae and Iron
 
Hi hoppycalif

What happened next? Please don't leave me in suspense!

Yorkie

hoppycalif 03-18-2020 03:23 PM

Re: Algae and Iron
 
Progress: I found a source for hygro polysperma, and bought a few sprigs. Now each of the 5 gallon compartments has one. So, I'm still waiting until I feel like I could detect a change if I try any type of experiment. The Betta's are enjoying their homes, so that part is ok.

Yorkie 03-23-2020 01:21 PM

Re: Algae and Iron
 
That's great, Hoppy. I'm watching this with interest. You and I have something in common - we both share a love for running scientific experiments. Having a background in the physical sciences, I need to get my 'fix'.

Am I right in thinking that you have done a good many measurements on aquarium lighting? Your name is carved in my memory banks from a few years ago.

Yorkie

hoppycalif 03-24-2020 07:28 AM

Re: Algae and Iron
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkie (Post 1004581)
That's great, Hoppy. I'm watching this with interest. You and I have something in common - we both share a love for running scientific experiments. Having a background in the physical sciences, I need to get my 'fix'.

Am I right in thinking that you have done a good many measurements on aquarium lighting? Your name is carved in my memory banks from a few years ago.

Yorkie

Yes, you are remembering right. I spend several years trying to find ways to determine how much light we have and how much we should have. It is still a mostly a guesswork subject.

When I got back to this hobby about 25 years ago, after I retired, I did it largely because there was so much to learn, and so much that was unknown about the hobby. I have never regretted that decision.

Yorkie 03-27-2020 11:28 AM

Re: Algae and Iron
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppycalif (Post 1004593)
Yes, you are remembering right. I spend several years trying to find ways to determine how much light we have and how much we should have. It is still a mostly a guesswork subject.

When I got back to this hobby about 25 years ago, after I retired, I did it largely because there was so much to learn, and so much that was unknown about the hobby. I have never regretted that decision.

Hi Hoppy,

Thanks for your reply.

I also have a particular interest in aquarium lighting. There seem to be very few lighting manufacturers who design their products with the needs of plants in mind. And they blast aquarists' tanks with loads of photons at wavelengths that plants cannot use but algae and cyanobacteria bask in this light. But, I do realize that we want our plants to look right - not a weird shade of pink! This is not horticultural lighting.

JPC

hoppycalif 03-27-2020 12:42 PM

Re: Algae and Iron
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkie (Post 1004663)
Hi Hoppy,

Thanks for your reply.

I also have a particular interest in aquarium lighting. There seem to be very few lighting manufacturers who design their products with the needs of plants in mind. And they blast aquarists' tanks with loads of photons at wavelengths that plants cannot use but algae and cyanobacteria bask in this light. But, I do realize that we want our plants to look right - not a weird shade of pink! This is not horticultural lighting.

JPC

I think the biggest lack of information we now have is algae and why it grows or doesn't grow. Diana Walstad's book is, in my opinion, on the right track in saying that it is the nutrients in the water that are the key to having algae or not having it. Algae have no access to the nutrients in the substrate, except for what leaches out into the water. And, I'm intrigued by the idea that it could be iron in the water that is the magic key to algae problems. Unfortunately, it is also very hard to find a good experiment that could enforce that idea.

Yorkie 03-29-2020 10:57 AM

Re: Algae and Iron
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppycalif (Post 1004665)
I think the biggest lack of information we now have is algae and why it grows or doesn't grow. Diana Walstad's book is, in my opinion, on the right track in saying that it is the nutrients in the water that are the key to having algae or not having it. Algae have no access to the nutrients in the substrate, except for what leaches out into the water. And, I'm intrigued by the idea that it could be iron in the water that is the magic key to algae problems. Unfortunately, it is also very hard to find a good experiment that could enforce that idea.

Hi Hoppy,

Diana Walstad, in her book, talks about light wavelengths below 520 nm promoting algae growth. But, plants also need light from this part of the spectrum. Chlorophyll a and b peak responses occur at 430 nm and 453 nm, respectively. However, with a lighting fixture that permits control over its spectrum, the amount of light being emitted below 520 nm can be reduced. The fact that white LEDs are essentially blue LEDs with the appropriate phosphor added results in a lot of light from 400 nm - 520 nm, as I'm sure you are aware. Please see the attached.

Yorkie

hoppycalif 03-29-2020 04:08 PM

Re: Algae and Iron
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkie (Post 1004697)
Hi Hoppy,

Diana Walstad, in her book, talks about light wavelengths below 520 nm promoting algae growth. But, plants also need light from this part of the spectrum. Chlorophyll a and b peak responses occur at 430 nm and 453 nm, respectively. However, with a lighting fixture that permits control over its spectrum, the amount of light being emitted below 520 nm can be reduced. The fact that white LEDs are essentially blue LEDs with the appropriate phosphor added results in a lot of light from 400 nm - 520 nm, as I'm sure you are aware. Please see the attached.

Yorkie

Yes, I have seen those charts, but I haven't seen any data that would support a belief that certain wavelengths of light cause algae problems. That, too, is a very hard experiment to try.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.