Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/)
-   -   Sunsun Canister Filter Opinions (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/144453-sunsun-canister-filter-opinions.html)

dow 05-20-2020 12:49 PM

Sunsun Canister Filter Opinions

Hello,

What is the general consensus on the canisters from Sunsun? I'd prefer to hear form folks who have actually owned and used them, and if possible who have also used some of the other brands available.

I'll be using it on a 40 breeder, and am considering the HW-304B. This will be my first canister filter.

Thanks!

Duckweed Hunter 05-20-2020 01:57 PM

Re: Sunsun Canister Filter Opinions

I've used a couple of them for tanks over the years and have had no problem that I haven't had with big name filters.

dow 05-20-2020 05:34 PM

Do you think that the 304B would be a suitable size for a 40 breeder? The specs on the amazon listing say 525 GPH, but I'm sure that's with zero inches of head pressure and no media. Unfortunately, the calculator on reefcentral that I used the last time I purchased a submersible pump (10-11 years ago?) doesn't seem to work anymore, so I can't calculate the loss in flow that I could expect. That makes it kind of hard to guestimate which size filter pump would work best.

hoppycalif 05-20-2020 06:39 PM

Cannister filters don't have a head pressure, other than the height of the top of the tank to the water level in the tank. In fact, the type of pump they all use doesn't generate more than a few inches of head pressure. When you put lots of filter media in them, that can cause the pressure in the pump to drop below atmospheric pressure, causing cavitation, which damages the pump. They are designed so it is very unlikely that you would have that much filter media.

dow 05-20-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppycalif (Post 1005847)
Cannister filters don't have a head pressure, other than the height of the top of the tank to the water level in the tank. In fact, the type of pump they all use doesn't generate more than a few inches of head pressure. When you put lots of filter media in them, that can cause the pressure in the pump to drop below atmospheric pressure, causing cavitation, which damages the pump. They are designed so it is very unlikely that you would have that much filter media.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Learning something new every day, it seems. So, if the pump is rated at 525gph, what would that work out to in real-world gallons per hour? Also, how much turnover should I expect on a tank, 5x per hour? 10x? The last time I had to think about this stuff was back in my reef days, and I'm reeealllly rusty on it.

hoppycalif 05-20-2020 07:26 PM

Any restriction can reduce the flow rate through a filter. Even a dirty pump rotor or the bearings, would reduce the flow rate. But, the advertised flow rate should be useful for comparing filters. I don't know what the ideal turnover time is. I have never believed it is a critical parameter. You can always get more water movement in the tank by just using a powerhead. And, I consider that to be more important.

Michael 05-21-2020 05:41 AM

I used an Eheim with a flow rate of 265? gph on my 40b for years and it was plenty, so 525 gph would be more than enough.

Is this for your Walstad tank? If so, choose a filter that allows you to easily use mechanical media only. This is all you need. Biomedia may actually be counter-productive because it coverts the ammonia that plants use very easily to nitrate which is more difficult to use.

dow 05-21-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 1005855)
I used an Eheim with a flow rate of 265? gph on my 40b for years and it was plenty, so 525 gph would be more than enough.

Is this for your Walstad tank? If so, choose a filter that allows you to easily use mechanical media only. This is all you need. Biomedia may actually be counter-productive because it coverts the ammonia that plants use very easily to nitrate which is more difficult to use.

Thanks for the insight, Michael. I hadn't thought about that, only that I needed a filter. When I had a reef tank, I used a DSB, sump and protein skimmer. Since setting up this 20H tank that I've got now (planted, but not as much as I'm seeing around here), I'm using a HOB filter (Fluval 50). The whole canister filter subject is new to me, and I'm not finding that much objective information out there. It seems like the lion's share of search results point to folks trying to sell me stuff, rather than to educate me so that I can make a wise decision on what to get. Very frustrating.

Anyway, in response to your suggestion, it looks like the sunsun can be used with pretty much any type of media you'd prefer. The most current model that I'm seeing is the 704B, which comes with four media baskets. That should hold a world of media.

fishyjoe24 05-27-2020 06:39 PM

I didn't like sunsun's well I had a few they all leaked. and where hard to prime. maybe I got lemons. I did how ever like them for the price point and flow they had.