Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   El Natural (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/)
-   -   Looking for filter/circulation pump recommendations for small tank (6.5g) (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/144911-looking-filter-circulation-pump-recommendations-small.html)

jatcar95 09-15-2020 11:05 AM

Looking for filter/circulation pump recommendations for small tank (6.5g)

Hello!

I have a 6.5g aquarium, and I'm in the market for a new filter or powerhead. My current one is constantly clogging up so there's basically no flow.

I don't care about the filtering, I just need the water circulation. But for my size of tank, it seems there aren't a lot of powerhead options - a lot of the products I found with a low enough GPH were just internal filters.

I have a betta, so low flow is good. But I'd rather not have the water completely stagnant. I think something around 25gph would be good, preferably with the option to dial it down to close to nothing.

Anyone have recommendations for a tank this size?

mistergreen 09-15-2020 12:12 PM

Re: Looking for filter/circulation pump recommendations for small tank (6.5g)

A small air driven sponge filter should work. No more clogging.

jatcar95 09-15-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistergreen (Post 1009483)
A small air driven sponge filter should work. No more clogging.

Won't sponge filters create too much aeration? I don't want to bubble out too much CO2 from the water, as I'm not injecting artificially...

mistergreen 09-15-2020 04:05 PM

You can control the air flow with air valve, also use an air stone.

But you can get away with having no flow at all. The plants will keep it not stagnant.

FlatfishTanker1 09-15-2020 08:09 PM

I have a DYMAX power head 200. Little itty bitty power head for $11.99. I used that for a while in my nano cube. Now I use the Aquarium Co-op nano sponge filter ($2.99) driven by The Aquarium Co-op USB nano air pump ($8.99) with a never clog air stone ($1.99). Inexpensive yet good quality stuff! I don't run it all the time. I usually plug it on for about an hour in the morning to freshen the water a bit and move it around. That's about it. Something else you might consider. If you heat your water, you can get 4 or 5 Glowlight Danios. They are active fish that aren't easily intimidated by bigger fish. They seem to be always on the move, which helps circulate the water. Pretty, fun fish. If you think you can handle a bit more bio-load.

hoppycalif 09-16-2020 06:17 AM

I have been using these pumps, https://www.amazon.com/TMI-Submersib...042nst800sr-20 for circulation in my "biocube" aquarium. I have drilled tiny holes in the rotor flaps so one of them has a very low flow rate. They work great, and seem to last forever.

jatcar95 09-16-2020 09:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look. hoppy, I never would have considered drilling a hole in the rotor flaps, that's pretty clever!

FlatfishTanker1, what made you stop using the DYMAX? My tank is already pretty fully stocked, so not sure I want to add more. That being said, I do have some sactive smaller fishies, I didn't consider that they would help circulate the water too.

hoppycalif 09-16-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jatcar95 (Post 1009521)
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look. hoppy, I never would have considered drilling a hole in the rotor flaps, that's pretty clever!

The original idea behind drilling holes in the rotor flaps is to make the rotor chop CO2 bubbles into fine mist - running the bubbles of CO2 through the pump. The reduction in flow rate is just a side effect that I like also.

FlatfishTanker1 09-16-2020 05:19 PM

I stopped using the power head because I wanted to try the air driven filter. I don't like depending on mechanical motors and such if I don't have to. As I say this, I realize that the air pump is a mechanical devise, so I guess I'm not making much sense! Most of all, I like giving the fish a fresh boost of air in the morning after a long night of oxygen depletion. I don't run it very long. Most of the day there is no air and no circulation. I do have a pretty good bunch of guppy grass that pearls a lot during the day.