Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   DIY Aquarium Projects (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/)
-   -   Silencing Air Pump (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/144913-silencing-air-pump.html)

discusxgold 09-15-2020 11:24 AM

Silencing Air Pump

Hello,

I recently bought a 4way air pump and this pump makes so much noise.

Is there a method where you can construct a box with little inverted air vents to silence this?

Any practical tips would be welcome or any science theories on how to silence the air pump efficiently.

I was thinking of a wooden box with silicone all around with only 1 hole for air to enter in and the remaining tubes out of the wooden box?

U'm willing to try anything, im so tired of this hummming noise :mad2:

mistergreen 09-15-2020 03:07 PM

Re: Silencing Air Pump

I put air pumps on a thick folded towel.

SudhirR 09-15-2020 05:23 PM

Silencing Air Pump

Hang the air pump by the air line or some other means. Or get a quieter version.

I use an air pump thatís actually used in baby brine shrimp hatching system and thatís super quiet but not very powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxtor 09-20-2020 07:53 AM

I have a box for my airpump it is situated in my aquarium cabinet and once I close the doors I can't hear it. It is on folded towel as well. Air pump is an Eheim so it's pretty quiet regardless.

Yes you could build a box if the noise is bothersome like in a bedroom. Use insulation to be more noise proof.

Cheers

hoppycalif 09-21-2020 07:09 AM

Air pumps are mechanical devices, so they are not 100% efficient. Much of the energy they consume is converted to heat. I haven't tried this, but I would expect a well sealed box to hold the heat in the box, possibly damaging the pump from overheating. "Quiet" air pumps cost more, but that's how I would approach this.

tiger15 09-21-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SudhirR (Post 1009499)
Hang the air pump by the air line or some other means. Or get a quieter version.

I use an air pump thatís actually used in baby brine shrimp hatching system and thatís super quiet but not very powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I silenced my air pump by hanging it with a fish line so it touches nothing. I hang it above the tank to prevent siphoning, and if you canít do it, make sure you install a check valve. Donít underestimate the tiny air hose which can drain your tank if siphoning is undiscovered over night. Self siphoning can be triggered by Venturi effect in power outage or a hose slip off a gang valve.

Uproar 10-02-2020 11:06 AM

I saw someone on youtube where he puts the air pump hanging in a glass jar with some holes to vent any heat. Seems like a good idea in which i would try in the future sometime.