Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Nano Aquariums (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/nano-aquariums/)
-   -   Nano - 2 Gallon Betta Bowl at the Office (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/nano-aquariums/15198-nano-2-gallon-betta-bowl-office.html)

Jimbo205 03-30-2006 04:27 PM

Nano - 2 Gallon Betta Bowl at the Office

I have Flourite as a substrate, use a 36 inch FloraSun cubicle bulb and daily dose Flourish and Flourish Excel.
I have Java Fern, something like a Sword Plant that just put out a new leaf (good), and a grass like plant that was doing okay for awhile and now turning yellow and slowly dying. I had put in a bunch of Sera Florenetta A iron and mineral tablets in the the gravel awhile ago.

Why is that one plant dying? I leave the light on overnight when I leave the office.

I do water changes once a week. What is next?

Or what is happening to that one plant?

:help:

:frusty:

milalic 03-30-2006 04:31 PM

Any ideas of what this plant might be? Maybe a photo/picture?
What are the tank dimensions and how many watts of light?

Cheers,
Pedro

Jimbo205 05-26-2006 11:22 AM

I have been doing Seachem's Daily Dosage Schedule and my 2 Gallon Betta Bowl is now FLOURISHING!!!!

John N. 05-26-2006 10:11 PM

That's good news. Shoulds like you're getting the hang of balancing out the nutrient needs for the plants. ;)

-John N.

Jimbo205 06-03-2006 03:58 PM

Success out of a bottle. www.seachem.com Daily Dosage Schedule
Now trying to learn other methods (they are NOT EASY).

Now I want to keep the algae away, but just keep the status quo with the plants.

Should I just dose once a week? Or just not use the carbon (Excel)?

Suggestions?

deeplove 06-06-2006 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo205
Now I want to keep the algae away.

What type of algae are we talking about?
If it's the stringy type, then just get a fork and add it to a Cup-O-Noodle.
If it's green water, just add some crushed ice and you'll have one of those ice thingies...

J/k.

In my 2.5G I was dosing the recommended amount of Flourish and *poof*... I had green tea for lunch for a couple of days. Also, you didn't say how long you leave your lights on. Try 8 - 10 hours or just turn it on when you go in to work and turn it off when you leave. If you have a normal work day like me, then you should have 8 hours right there. Plus all the rest of the lights from the office, that should help out.

Jimbo205 06-06-2006 07:49 PM

For this Betta Bowl at the office, I have been doing exactly like you said - turn light on when I get to work and turn it off when I go home. (Now that I have the nice white 6,700K light and not that embarassing purple thing!)

So far, so good. I have not dosed it for the last 5-7 days and so far it looks okay, actually very, very nice. I am just waiting for the shoe to drop off the other foot.......

My 27 gallon 20 inch deep 1/2 Hex at home after 5-7 days of no ferts - got a slight fuzz on everything. So, BOOM! I hit it with the Daily Dosage Schedule again. I also reduced my lighting. I have the Orbit Dual Daylight fixture with Moonlight on that one and it has 2 X 40 Watt bulbs. I think my light may have been too much for a bit.

I changed my timers back to what they were at before. 1 bulb from 8am to 2pm and the 2nd bulb from 11am to 8pm. That way it has the effect of noontime with the morning and evening sunshine leaking into the tank from the room in the house. Never noticed this stuff before I got this seriously cool light fixture. (I spoiled myself finally with my tax return this year!)

I have 1 bag of PO4 which I have learned is Phosphate, which I have also learned is equivalent to Seachem Phosphorus; and 1 bag of Potassium Nitrate which I have learned is equivalent to Seachem Flourish Potassium and Seachem Flourish Nitrogen. I have the Dash, Pinch and Smidgen measuring spoons and sometime soon I will learn how to dose this stuff.

I am excited because the REALLY GOOD fish store in my area Eddie's Aquarium in Latham, NY said they have a whole bunch of those lab bottle things with the straw/spout that they use for rinsing out the test tubes when testing the water. I have been picturing those things in my mind for weeks now and could not for the life of me figure out where to purchase them. I explained that I want to use it for dosing my supplements to the plants/tanks. They said no problem. I am 'psyched' !!

Jimbo205 06-06-2006 10:36 PM

https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/g...p?imageid=3527

Jimbo205 06-06-2006 10:37 PM

https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/g...1062_thumb.jpg

John N. 06-10-2006 10:42 AM

Looks Pretty good Jimbo. The dwarf sag seems to take up a lot of space, but I do like the jungle look. The betta must be in heaven.

-John N.