Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/)
-   -   answer to the paintball CO2 dilemma (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/16414-answer-paintball-co2-dilemma.html)

niko 05-03-2006 06:42 AM

I think that if the regulator is a double gauge clumsy looking thing the idea of having a sleek looking small size CO2 bottle goes out the window.

The RedSea kit seems to include everything needed so I consider it good product.

--Nikolay

sumoarigato 05-03-2006 09:13 PM

turbomkt:
A local paintball store here sells them for about $30 (filled), and about $2-3 for a refill. You can also get them from WalMart :wacko: or sporting goods stores.

niko:
I agree, the regulator and the tank aren't exactly svelte and sexy like the ADA stuff, but the Red Sea package offers a good combo of a smaller size, and the convenience of a complete package (aside from the bottle, no additional parts to mess with). It addressed my requirements better than other pressurized options.

turbomkt 05-04-2006 08:14 AM

You can also buy an adapter that will fill them off a standard CO2 bottle.

I'd probably end up getting two tanks and a filling kit. Add to that a 5# CO2 bottle that can be kept in the garage and it's a fairly easy setup.

vic21 05-09-2006 12:39 PM

Paintball cylinder

I have read somewhere that the paintball cylinders are not a real good idea. They have a small amount of oil injected into the tank with the CO2 to lubricate the paintball gun. This oil is not likely to be a good thing in any kind of aquarium!
I got my CO2 regulator, needle valve, bubble counter and electric solenoid on E-bay for about $100 CAD landed in Red Deer. I bough my refurbished 20gal tank for $75 CAD. I get it filled at the local Coca Cola distributor. They have CO2 for their post and pre mix fountain pop. The welding shop price to refill was $55CAD and the Coke store was $29 CAD.

dennis 05-09-2006 01:04 PM

They don't use oil in the paintball canisters. I think you can by refills w/oil but they are the small, disposable type and they are marked specifically as containing oil. Normal, refillable paintball cylinders do not have oil in them.

ranmasatome 05-09-2006 08:52 PM

Can i ask why this is popular?

You can get an entire setup with a nice regulator, all totally new, ordered in from taiwan for $150 total.

If you go the other cheaper methods mentioned here then maybe i can see why.. but buying that regulator in the first post...its already $130!

magicmagni 05-09-2006 09:06 PM

I use paintball Co2 on my 10 gallon tank since last year and have yet to have a problem with it. I'm glad to see that Red Sea has put something on the market so folks don't have to piece something together to get a nano Co2 system. Too bad there is no solenoid though. When I added one to mine it really helped increase run times, but it also really jacked the price up on the complete system.

FobbyBobby23 05-09-2006 10:50 PM

how long did the cylinder last on your 10 gallon without the solenoid?

shake 05-10-2006 01:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have posted these photos before. I found it on another forum.

Its available from www.up-aqua.com

I can't find the price but I do recall reading from the forum where I found it, was arountd $150 which I think included the solenoid.

This would be perfect for a nano tank.

Attachment 2751

Attachment 2752

jower 05-10-2006 04:04 AM

Darn that's one nice piece of equipment!:D