Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   DIY Aquarium Projects (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/)
-   -   [Wet Thumb Forum]-All-Glass tanks w/ overflow (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/21811-wet-thumb-forum-all-glass-tanks.html)

Justin Fournier 08-13-2003 07:08 PM

Anyone have experiance with All-Glass brand tanks with built in overflows?

Just got my 75gallon w/overflow built and I am not liking the results I am getting as far as surface skimming goes.

In summary I am not getitng any surface skimming at all. I have no idea why.

I do have a scum buildup already, although I do not have anything in the system but tap water.

[This message was edited by Justin604 on Wed August 13 2003 at 10:51 PM.]

Justin Fournier 08-13-2003 07:08 PM

Anyone have experiance with All-Glass brand tanks with built in overflows?

Just got my 75gallon w/overflow built and I am not liking the results I am getting as far as surface skimming goes.

In summary I am not getitng any surface skimming at all. I have no idea why.

I do have a scum buildup already, although I do not have anything in the system but tap water.

[This message was edited by Justin604 on Wed August 13 2003 at 10:51 PM.]

imported_trilinearmipmap 08-14-2003 02:47 AM

Check out the reef boards for advice on this, reefs.org or reefcentral.

If your return pump output is matched well to the overflow then I imagine the problem might be solved.

Also check out how to make a Durso to quiet the noise.

Canadian Aquatic Plant Trading Website

Justin Fournier 08-14-2003 06:02 AM

I amke Durso's for customers, so I am up to date with them, as for the noise, my tanks is very quiet. I only have noise from the trickle filter, and a slight hum form the pump. No Durso necessary.

I thought I would ask here because all the reef guys are pushing considerable more water then I am. I am well within what the overflow says it can handle. Less than 300gph

Momotaro 08-14-2003 08:14 AM

You say you have a surface film but nothing in the aquarium yet?
Just out of curiosity, what type of substrate do you have?

Mike

superjohnny 08-14-2003 08:22 AM

Where'd you get the 75 and how much was it? Mind if i ask?

---------------------------------------------
Fish are the things that live with my plants.

otherguy 08-14-2003 02:36 PM

Hi Justin, I have the 75 gallon all glass w/overflow and had little to no surface scum at all, with that being said I have no idea what is causing yours, how long has it been up and running???

Brandon

75gallon tank, wetdry filter, pressurized co2 with controller, uv, flourite substrate, 220watts lighting

Justin Fournier 08-14-2003 06:33 PM

Momotaro, Substrate, what substrate. Like I said earlier. Nothing but tap water in the system.

superjohnny, I got the tank from King Ed. Should have got it from Big Al's. Took 3 tanks to get one without a defect from King Ed's. Not really thier problem I guess, I just wish they put more effort into things. I had to dig the tanks out myself, carry them from the storage area then load them and inspect them. I didn;t want to unwrap it though cause then it might get ented ect in the back of the truck. Don't unwrap it and take your chances I guess. Not impressive. For the $50 I saved, it was not worth the hassle. Infact by the time you include gas, it was probably more.

otherguy, tank has been up for a week.

Justin Fournier 08-14-2003 07:05 PM

Drilled out the bottom of the slots, and the water was still above that point, and nothing as far as the surface skimmer went. So I drilled the rest of it out. They are all 1/4" now.