Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   South Western Ohio Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/south-western-ohio-aquatic-plant-enthusiasts/)
-   -   Matt's Shrimp Rack (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/south-western-ohio-aquatic-plant-enthusiasts/36425-matts-shrimp-rack.html)

MatPat 01-29-2007 10:08 AM

Matt's Shrimp Rack

I started on my "Shrimp rack" back in late November by plumbing in a dual sink to my basement storage area (in the far right side of the pic). Just past the sink is a 44g Rubbermaid container for RO/DI water storage.

I then spent a Sunday afternoon/evening building the rack and getting it setup in it's current location. The Rack holds twelve 10g tanks, is 97" long and about 14" deep. The actual shelves are 11" deep. Nothing fancy as far as the construction is concerned, 2x4's and some MDF shelving from Lowes. With the help of duchessren (Renee), I managed to get it primed and painted on one evening. She was also a big help in getting the lights mounted.

Since all of my planted tanks get fertilized heavily, Renee also brought me some water from a couple of her tanks to get me off to a decent start. Between her water and my RO water the shrimp seem to be adjusting well.

The bottom four tanks on the rack (tanks 8-12) are Renee's. I offered to "rent" her some space on the rack while she works on the logistics for her move to Cleveland in return for the help ing getting the rack set up and some future babysitting. I have 4 more tanks available (once Renee vacates the space) but I do not have the shrimp for them, at least yet. Hopefully these will be for some better grade CRS once I get mine breeding well.

Anyways, for those who couldn't make the meeting here is a pic of my Shrimp Rack. It's not the greatest quality pic but it is the best I can do at least for now...I will edit or add another pic or two later when I get a chance to take some more.

[url=http://imageshack.us]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8...changedyk6.jpg[/

All in all, this has taken me about 2 months (and countless trips to Lowes/Home Depot) to get the rack in this condition. I still have to finish up the waste water plumbing for the rack and get a few tanks planted/filled with shrimp.

Starting from the top left, here are the current contents of the tanks:

My Tanks:
Tank 1 - Crystal Red Shrimp
Tank 2 - Snowball Shrimp
Tank 3 - Cherry Red Shrimp (empty, but will soon be planted and filled)
Tank 4 - Tiger Shrimp
Tank 5 - Empty, reserved for Amano Shrimp
Tank 6 - Empty,
Tank 7 - Blue Shrimp
Tank 8 - New Bee Shrimp
Renee's tanks:
Tank 9 - Ghost Shrimp, Amano Shrimp, Vampire Shrimp, and Bamboo Shrimp
Tank 10 - Empty, possible CRS tank?
Tank 11 - Empty, possible Cherry Shrimp tank?
Tank 12 - Empty, ?

I would like to thank Renee for all of her help in getting this setup. I don't think it would have been ready in time for the meeting had she not lent me a hand on several occasions!

Freerider 01-29-2007 12:11 PM

What is covering the intake of your power filters, looks like one of the hydor rotating things but on your intakes or is it a sponge filter adapted to the intake? I was expecting to see air powered tanks like in most fish rooms.

I like this setup, nice and simple. I am trying to convince my significant other that this is what we need in our spare room (we dont have a basement or it would be no question), but still no luck.

MatPat 01-29-2007 01:33 PM

The tanks all have Aquaclear minis (or 20's as they are now called) on them with Filter Max I Pre-Filters over the intakes. I don't like the sound of air pumps so I decided to go with the Aquaclear filters instead. I have both Blue Shrimp and Snowball Shrimp babies right now so hopefully the pre-filters will do their job. If not, I will have to find a very quiet air pump.

gnatster 01-29-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

If not, I will have to find a very quiet air pump.
Kensfish.com

Dolphin air pump. very quiet and powerful to boot

Six 01-29-2007 02:47 PM

Matt, how much did you pay for the AC minis? Next time you need one or some, and you're able to come into Columbus, check out The Andersons General Store behind AA. They have them there cheap. They are not the new models and I'm sure the price is like that b/c no one buys them and the warehouse is overstocked. Anderson's isnt really the place for fish supplies.

Nice looking rack, Matt. I'm suprised you put the tanks long-ways. I like it and I'd personally prefer it, but I think when mine goes up, they're going to be viewable from the small end of a 10. We'll see though. I'll be watching your progress on how it's going. :)

Burks 01-29-2007 03:33 PM

Simply awesome Matt! I'm trying to convince my parents to let me use 50" by 14" of their basement to have six 10g tanks. Shouldn't be too hard, dad is a fan of tanks. ;)

I'm curious about your Blue Shrimp. Are they breeding true blue? Maybe someday I can support your growing habit by purchasing some of those lovely shrimp you are breeding. *hint hint*

PAINKILLER1009 01-29-2007 05:34 PM

Wish i could have made it. That would have been a nice first meeting but i ended up working:(
Looks great keep up the good work.
Suggestion for tank #6 or #12 Caridina cf. babaulti (green shrimp). I would like to get my hands on some of them.

MatPat 01-29-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six (Post 270955)
Matt, how much did you pay for the AC minis?

Dave at Aquatics & Exotics in West Chester (Cinci) has them for $7.99. That's a hard price to beat ;) I appreciate the info though and I am sure some of the other Columbus folks do too. The next time I am up your way I will have to check out Anderson's.

You are gonna let me know if AA gets anything good in tomorrow right ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six (Post 270955)
Nice looking rack, Matt. I'm suprised you put the tanks long-ways. I like it and I'd personally prefer it, but I think when mine goes up, they're going to be viewable from the small end of a 10. We'll see though. I'll be watching your progress on how it's going. :)

I was originally going to put them narrow side out on some steel racks from Lowes but I enjoy looking at the tanks too much to only see the small side;) I could have probably fit three times as many tanks on this rack if I would have built it with the narrow sides out.

If all goes well I may just have to build another rack to house more tanks but that may put me into Divorce Court. On the bright side of that, I will have some locally bred shrimp for everyone in the near future ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burks (Post 270976)
Simply awesome Matt! I'm curious about your Blue Shrimp. Are they breeding true blue? Maybe someday I can support your growing habit by purchasing some of those lovely shrimp you are breeding. *hint hint*

Thanks Burks and I'm always willing to accept some "support" for my hobby! However, I don't think the blues will breed true but they are still too small to tell. They are only about a week old now and still whitish in color.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAINKILLER1009 (Post 271019)
Wish i could have made it. That would have been a nice first meeting but i ended up working:( Looks great keep up the good work.

Suggestion for tank #6 or #12 Caridina cf. babaulti (green shrimp). I would like to get my hands on some of them.

It would have been nice to have met you but there will be other meetings ;)

The Caridina cf. babaulti are one of the shrimp on my wish list and I actually have them planned for tank #6 in the future. Tanks 9-12 will probably have some nicer grade CRS in them in the future also but for now Renee has those four tank spots for as long as she needs them. It's hard to find good help now days ;)

redstrat 01-30-2007 01:32 PM

Matt, it was great to see your this rack in person I really liked the simplicity of it and how clean it looks. I've been working on an idea for something very similar but on a much smaller scale, like 2-4 tanks instead of 12. I'm just currious how far apart are your shelves, or really how much space did you allow over top the 10g aquariums for lighting and maintenance? Do you ever wish there was more space?

I can't wait to see the rack and your other tanks for that matter in a couple months they all look great. :D

MatPat 01-30-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davis.1841 (Post 271337)
Matt, it was great to see your this rack in person I really liked the simplicity of it and how clean it looks. I've been working on an idea for something very similar but on a much smaller scale, like 2-4 tanks instead of 12. I'm just currious how far apart are your shelves, or really how much space did you allow over top the 10g aquariums for lighting and maintenance? Do you ever wish there was more space?

I can't wait to see the rack and your other tanks for that matter in a couple months they all look great. :D

Thanks for the nice comments Ryan and it was good to meet you Saturday.

The shelves on the rack are 24" apart. This gives me about 12" above each tank for maintenance. I originally thought about leving only 6" of space and having 16 tanks but that would not have been enough space to get my arms into the tanks comfortably. 12" is plenty of space above the tank at least for me and allows some wiggle room to raise or lower the lighting for the plants. I like the plants as much as the shrimp ;)