Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   South Western Ohio Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/south-western-ohio-aquatic-plant-enthusiasts/)
-   -   Matt's Shrimp Rack (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/south-western-ohio-aquatic-plant-enthusiasts/36425-matts-shrimp-rack.html)

AaronT 02-08-2007 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t2000kw (Post 274159)
Is shipping cheap, reasonable, or expensive?

Yes, he's one of the few places that uses USPS and he tries to charge only the cost to himself.

t2000kw 02-08-2007 08:53 AM

His prices look pretty good. I like the Pro-Heat titanium heaters in his online store. Both the digital readout models and the dial-only models still use a dial to set the temperature, and I'll bet that the digital ones are not superior in performance over the cheaper models. It's nice to see the LEDs, but the price about doubles for that convenience.

Does he have an email address for questions? I didn't see a contact on the web site.

AaronT 02-08-2007 09:23 AM

It's there, just not as a menu option.

"If you have a question or need assistance in placing an order feel free to contact us at [email protected] or call us at 508-823-4043."

Freerider 02-14-2007 06:36 AM

Matt are you having problems with moisture in your basement since you have introduced the tanks? I want a rack of tanks and my girlfriend is concerned with moisture build up, so she wants it in the garage. Since i live in Canada it would be a pretty expensive construction project to properly convert a garage bay into a fish room. I am thinking about it, but it would be much cheaper to keep the rack in the house.

t2000kw 02-14-2007 07:12 AM

You could tell her it would help kep her skin young, fresh, and keep it from drying out. :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freerider (Post 276102)
Matt are you having problems with moisture in your basement since you have introduced the tanks? I want a rack of tanks and my girlfriend is concerned with moisture build up, so she wants it in the garage. Since i live in Canada it would be a pretty expensive construction project to properly convert a garage bay into a fish room. I am thinking about it, but it would be much cheaper to keep the rack in the house.

redstrat 02-14-2007 07:54 AM

you could also look into a dehumidifier it would probably be cheaper then doing it in the garage.

MatPat 02-14-2007 08:00 AM

Quote:

Matt are you having problems with moisture in your basement since you have introduced the tanks?

No problems so far but it is very dry here. When first set up I had a small amount of moisture on the window that is directly above the tanks and maybe 2 feet behind them. That was very temporary.

I am having quite a bit of evaporation even though the tanks are covered. The rack is 10-15 feet from the furnace intake and there is also a main return for the HVAC system work in this room. Those two things may contribute to the lack of moisture in the room.

Quote:

I want a rack of tanks and my girlfriend is concerned with moisture build up, so she wants it in the garage. Since i live in Canada it would be a pretty expensive construction project to properly convert a garage bay into a fish room. I am thinking about it, but it would be much cheaper to keep the rack in the house.

It may be cheaper for you to build a rack and install some sort of ventilation to the outside or at least install a dehumidifier if you run into problems with moisture. Water changes and maintenance would also be much easier if you can keep the rack in the house. With the weather we have been having lately, I can only imagine trying to keep a garage warm enough for fish/shrimp.

Chris (Cincy Cichlids) has installed some sort of booster apparatus that is normally used to increase flow for long runs of clothes dryer piping in his fishroom. It seems to work pretty well and you can PM him for some more info on the dryer contraption he uses. He may even respond if he sees this thread :)

redstrat 02-19-2007 08:02 PM

well Matt I did it, i borrowed your design for the rack and built one myself. I was really impressed by your's when I saw it at the meeting it really got me motivated to finally build one. Mine is much smaller than your's, holding and lighting 2 10gallon tanks and one 20H on top with its own lighting. I also provided a storage shelf below which is temporarilly going to be used as a bookshelf and printer stand, lol. I'm also building a new computer desk which will house all that stuff. I also beefed up the lighting a little because I have CO2 available for this rack, I squezed another lighting fixture in there for the two 10g tanks, so I have a total of 4 40w T12s above the two tanks. The 20h will probably just get a aqualight 65w CF fixture to keep it simple. I really like the clean design and affordability, luckilly since I saw yours I made it with one trip to HD and probably put $40-60 in it including the wood, shelving, lights, hardware, primer and a paint brush. Its still primer grey though, I haven't decided on a color yet. It seems very sturdy and I'm really happy with it so far, Thanks Matt!!! here is a pic for all to see.

Enjoy :D

Front View
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/DSCN4537.jpg

Side View
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/DSCN4538.jpg

MatPat 02-20-2007 03:06 AM

Nice job on the rack Ryan! Looks like you have enough room for another 20H on top ;) I used a color very similar to the primer grey on my rack so it would match the shelving units I purchased from Lowe's :)

Keep us updated with pictures as the tank grows in!

redstrat 02-20-2007 06:40 AM

I probably could squeeze one more 20H on top, and I may eventually do that, its just not in the buget right now. I'll definately have updates in the future once i get all the equipment for the three tanks now. I may leave mine grey I'm not really sure, I dont have a problem with the grey it just doesn't match anything in the room colorwise. I'm probably going to just paint it whenever I move, which will probably be late this summer.