Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   New to Planted Aquariums (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/new-planted-aquariums/)
-   -   Dwarf Hairgrass (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/new-planted-aquariums/40937-dwarf-hairgrass.html)

patrick76 06-02-2007 08:30 AM

Dwarf Hairgrass

I have ordered some Dwarf Hairgrass what is the best way to get this out of the pot and be able to plant it in my tank?

trenac 06-02-2007 06:31 PM

Re: Dwarf Hairgrass

Very carefully!... Just remove the plant with wool from the plastic pot. The roots may be entangled around the bottom of the pot. If so you can cut some of the roots off and then cut the pot to remove it. After it is removed then start to peel away the wool from the plant. When the majority of the wool is removed, then run it under some tap water to loosen the rest up. This way most of the wool can be gotten out between the blades. Then separate the blades and plant. A royal PITA!

NAL 06-03-2007 07:31 AM

I thought you planted it in clumps like it comes. So I should pull every blade out individually and plant?

messy_da_legend 06-03-2007 09:36 AM

Well it should seperate out into small clumps of maybe 5 blades to one root ball. Then spread them out over the foregorund

NAL 06-03-2007 09:52 AM

ok I will do that then
will it take over the foregrounds then?

patrick76 06-03-2007 06:46 PM

How long will this take to take over and make a nice carpet? I order 3 pots for my 29 gallon tank. I am running a USA Light with 130 watts.

patrick76 06-07-2007 11:39 AM

No responce?

Yoshi 06-07-2007 03:34 PM

It grows fairly fast in my experience... after the initial planting, I'd say within 3 weeks you will see dramatic growth.

patrick76 06-08-2007 09:10 AM

K thanks for the comment.

Terra Incognita 06-12-2007 11:40 AM

I also have a question about hairgrass, which I didn't see nessecary to start a new thread for: I've planted my dwarf hairgrass in a 2.5g tank, with DIY C02, and 20watts of light, but my filter (A cheap-o Tetra Whisper 10) seems to be uprooting the grass, as I continously see strands in the intake. I was wondering if it was alright to turn off the filter for a while, in order to let the roots sort of take hold?

Tyrant 06-12-2007 12:04 PM

filter bacteria will die when shutting down the filter due to lack of oxygen i believe.

Terra Incognita 06-12-2007 06:40 PM

Let's suppose that's not a problem? In that case, if I shut off the filter for maybe 2-3 days until the roots totally took hold, would it cause any further problems?

Aquaculture 06-14-2007 10:06 PM

Tetra Incognita, I would not suggest to turn the filter off as your need to circulate the water and the minieral in it.

nicklovgren, yes, hairgrass would populate and reward you with a lush lawn. Plant them sparsely and they would spread in no time... if you have CO2 injection and highlight, you'll see baby blades of hairgrass in a matter of weeks. I'm using the EI method of fert dosing. Works fine with me...

Yeaulman 06-15-2007 01:19 PM

Whats considered high light? I have about 2.9 wpg.

trenac 06-16-2007 06:23 AM

I consider 2.9 wpg medium/high light on a standard size tank.

skubasteve! 06-16-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terra Incognita (Post 308699)
Let's suppose that's not a problem? In that case, if I shut off the filter for maybe 2-3 days until the roots totally took hold, would it cause any further problems?

I wouldn't shut off your filter. You could try putting some sort of sponge around the intake to slightly reduce the flow, and prevent plants from getting sucked up into the impeller/filter area.

Yeaulman 06-18-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

I consider 2.9 wpg medium/high light on a standard size tank.
So is that enough light for hair grass?

patrick76 06-19-2007 09:05 AM

Its been two week from when i planted my dwarf hairgrass and there is no sign of growth. Look exactly the same any ideas?

houseofcards 06-19-2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick76 (Post 310057)
Its been two week from when i planted my dwarf hairgrass and there is no sign of growth. Look exactly the same any ideas?

From my experience it takes a while to get started. Did you cut back the original leaves? I have always found be cutting the original leaves to about 1/2 an inch it started to produce new runners much quicker.

patrick76 06-19-2007 10:27 AM

Yes i cut them back to about 1/2 inch. Still no sign of anything.

houseofcards 06-19-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick76 (Post 310073)
Yes i cut them back to about 1/2 inch. Still no sign of anything.

Are there other plants in there? Are they growing? Try picking a group and see if there are new roots.

patrick76 06-19-2007 11:18 AM

I have dwarf hairgrass, Glossostigma, Moneywort, Anachris, Java Moss, Cryptocorynes, African bolbitis fern and Rotala rotundifolia. The glossostigma i got the same time i got my dwarf hairgrass and it has not shown any sign of growth either. The money wort i got about a month ago i think it has grown about half a inch thats it not much growth either. Yet the money wort has grown a lot of roots on it. Anachris is growing great and fast. Java Moss i got at the same time as Dwarf Hairgrass and i have not noticed it growing either. I have some Cryptocorynes and they are going great and fast. The fern has not grown at all but i hear it grows very slow. Rotala rotundifolia i just got so i can't tell you how it is growing at the moment. I pulled a group of the Dwarf Hairgrass last night and didn't look like roots were growing any.

NAL 06-19-2007 09:20 PM

I planted mine around 3 weeks ago, and see lil sprouts coming up. Nothing much though, but I haven't cut any of the original leafs. I also ordered it overseas and alot of it was brown when I got it. I think i see progress though.

patrick76 06-20-2007 12:27 PM

Looked today and saw i think one sprout comming up. Nothing much though. How about my money wart with no signs of growth there?

Yeaulman 06-20-2007 02:41 PM

What do you people do about algae or other debris getting caught on the hairgrass? It looks terrible if you look up close.

patrick76 06-21-2007 07:18 AM

I agree i have some on mine right now. When i change my water i just run my hose over the grass and it gets everything off though.

Terra Incognita 06-21-2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeaulman (Post 310412)
What do you people do about algae or other debris getting caught on the hairgrass? It looks terrible if you look up close.

I use a really fine toothed comb, a toothbrush, and sometimes a fine paintbrush. All of them seem to work on getting debris out.

Yeaulman 06-22-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

I use a really fine toothed comb, a toothbrush, and sometimes a fine paintbrush. All of them seem to work on getting debris out.
wouldnt that take a lot of time if you have a big tank?

patrick76 06-22-2007 08:45 AM

Why is my money wart not growing or anything? There is ton of root growth.

Terra Incognita 06-22-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeaulman (Post 310821)
wouldnt that take a lot of time if you have a big tank?

I suppose it would, I was sort've thinking of my own tank, which is only 2.5g. In the larger tank a fine toothed comb might still work, though. Just a very long one :-D

patrick76 06-25-2007 12:02 PM

My hair grass has still not grown hardley any!!!

phanmc 06-26-2007 04:18 PM

Are you injecting CO2 and dosing ferts? With the amount of light you have you're going to need quite a bit of both.

patrick76 06-27-2007 08:41 AM

20-40 Gallon Aquariums
+/- tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp K2SO4
50% weekly water change

Im using 2 CO2 Bio Systems

aquariuslad 07-02-2007 08:55 PM

I'm new in this. Will manual CO2 injection work, instead of CO2 system cos I can't afford a CO2 system at the moment.

Tyrant 07-09-2007 11:15 AM

Patrick 76, the bio co2 might be the problem. I know it's costy, but try using pressurised co2. Looking at everything you insert the ferts cant be the problem, although eleocharis is a swamp plant which considerably consumes via the rootsystem. I guess ferts in the water dont do all that much.

patrick76 07-10-2007 08:34 AM

What a good co2 pressurised system to start off with? Not looking to spend a lot.

Yeaulman 07-11-2007 10:42 AM

I picked up a JBJ regulator with solenoid and bubble counter for $70 on ebay. Also picked up a Ceramic/glass co2 diffuser from aquaticmagic.

hoppycalif 07-11-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquariuslad (Post 312919)
I'm new in this. Will manual CO2 injection work, instead of CO2 system cos I can't afford a CO2 system at the moment.

DIY CO2 does work, but it is a lot of routine work to keep it generating enough and steady enough CO2. If you use two or more bottles, with the start times staggered, so there is never a time when you have no CO2 at all, it works the best. Eventually we all get very tired of mixing sugar, water and yeast, and dumping what was in the water, but eventually stinks. If you can't afford pressurized CO2, the multiple bottle DIY CO2 is second best.

patrick76 07-12-2007 10:20 AM

How many bottles do you think i need? I have the 2 Bio Generators right now think i need to make a coke bottle one?

anonymity 08-07-2007 12:33 AM

This is my experience with dwarf hairgrass after failing at it the first time around.

I had a bunch of hairgrass to start planted it cut it short but it was growing very very slowly if not at all. Also thread algae started to consume it while nothing else in my tank had thread algae.

After watching it slowly die from the algae I gave up and pulled as much as I could out and ordered a couple more pots of dwarf hairgrass. All my other plants were growing like weeds aswell so it wasn't ferts or CO2. What I learned was I had planted my hairgrass too deep and that was causing it to die/grow algae/ and see no growth.

My second attempt I planted the hairgrass with tweezers deep then pulled them up so that only the roots are under the soil. The hairgrass is now growing nicely with no signs of any algae.