Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/)
-   -   Canister Media (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/42440-canister-media.html)

Beaver 07-23-2007 12:49 PM

Canister Media

I have an XP3 for a soon to be set up 75gal. Just wondering what would be the best media to put into the filter. There are 3 empty baskets. Should all of them be filled with bio rings? Or something else and let the plants take care of most of the bio load?

Supercoley1 07-23-2007 03:19 PM

Re: Canister Media

You could just buy the foam sheets for pond filters and cut them to sixe and put them in. Last for many many refills and as we know pond stuff is much cheaper.

Andy

hoppycalif 07-23-2007 04:09 PM

My XP3 came with a couple of filter pads, that when stacked up, remove all visible gunk in the water. The only other thing I am using is my leftover biological media from a small Fluval. Two baskets are empty.

trenac 07-23-2007 04:10 PM

I like using filter floss, a few bio-rings and the sponges that come with the filter.

Muirner 07-23-2007 04:32 PM

I'm using the 4 course sponges that came with the filter, as well as some foam cut to fit the baskets. I have cut about 4 squares and put them in the top top basket. About 1/2 a box of bio-rings (i'm trying to rid myself of algae and am trying everything) and the course sponges in the bottom.

teacherthomas 07-23-2007 07:46 PM

Muirner said "About 1/2 a box of bio-rings (i'm trying to rid myself of algae and am trying everything)".

That is funny. I had an algea issue (BBA) and my fishstore said the reason I had it was because of the Bio-Balls I was using in my filter. I changed them and the algea went away.

Previously my filter had. Course filter media (green), bio-balls, ceamic rings with a layer of course media on top (green), and then filter floss (white stuff).

Now just course filter media, ceramic rings, course media, and then white filter floss.

houseofcards 07-24-2007 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacherthomas (Post 317622)
Muirner said "About 1/2 a box of bio-rings (i'm trying to rid myself of algae and am trying everything)".

That is funny. I had an algea issue (BBA) and my fishstore said the reason I had it was because of the Bio-Balls I was using in my filter. I changed them and the algea went away.

Previously my filter had. Course filter media (green), bio-balls, ceamic rings with a layer of course media on top (green), and then filter floss (white stuff).

Now just course filter media, ceramic rings, course media, and then white filter floss.

Did they mention why bio-balls would cause algae? I've never heard that before. Are you referring to the big plastic bio-balls?

Squawkbert 07-24-2007 07:23 AM

I vote nylon pot scrubbers (pure nylon, no soap, no metal ring holding it together, several for a $1, bagged) - stuff lots under a medium or fine pad. Done.

teacherthomas 07-24-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houseofcards (Post 317686)
Did they mention why bio-balls would cause algae? I've never heard that before. Are you referring to the big plastic bio-balls?

Yes, the black plastic ones. No they didn't mention why, or I didn't fully understand them maybe, but they stated that when ever they used them in a cansiter filter there was always that algea issue after a while, so they said remove them.

Beaver 07-24-2007 12:29 PM

teacherthomas

when you say course media. Do you just mean normal aquarium gravel or is it something totally different?

Everything sounds good so far!