Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   South Western Ohio Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/south-western-ohio-aquatic-plant-enthusiasts/)
-   -   Planaria (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/south-western-ohio-aquatic-plant-enthusiasts/47070-planaria.html)

megasycophant 12-31-2007 09:16 AM

Planaria

According to Arizona Aquatic Gardens' website, [Thai] Flying Foxes eat planaria. I wouldn't think they'd bother shrimp, either.

MatPat 12-31-2007 10:25 AM

Re: Planaria

I may give this a try once I get an established colony of cherries going. I'd really like to find some Fluvermal but I don't think it is available in the US without a prescription. I wish I knew some Discus breeders...

MatPat 12-31-2007 11:10 AM

Here is a nice article I found on Planaria.

Near the end of the article it states:

"Warning - Research carried out by Tim Henshaw at Bolton Museum (Lancashire, U.K.) indicates that Planaria carry a toxin on their surface. This toxin is particularly potent towards any species of shrimp and glass shrimp."

Maybe this is why the shrimp seem to jump when they come in contact with Planaria. I really need to find something that will take care of these guys in my shrimp tanks! I have read that Fluke tabs will work but I'm not sure how they will affect the shrimp. I may have to try it on the cherry shrimp tank and see what happens. If the Cherries don't survive the Fluke tabs I can get some more fairly inexpensively. Hopefully Wayne or Rob still have a nice breeding colony of them.

I think I finally know what has been happening to all of my shrimp fry for the past year or so :(

MatPat 12-31-2007 11:29 AM

After a bit of research, I guess I can forget about the Fluke tabs since they are not safe for invertebrates. I guess my only option is some serious gravel vacuuming water changes unless i can find some Flubendazole (Fluvermal). There aren't very many shrimp safe meds out there.

CincyCichlids 12-31-2007 12:00 PM

Those little bastard worm-things! I moved my shrimp to a new tank and put in some breeding pairs of Julidochromis Transriptus and Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus.. I haven't seen one since!

megasycophant 12-31-2007 12:05 PM

Yay! Tanganyikans rule!

MatPat 12-31-2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CincyCichlids (Post 350819)
Those little bastard worm-things! I moved my shrimp to a new tank and put in some breeding pairs of Julidochromis Transriptus and Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus.. I haven't seen one since!

If I could figure out how to get them to eat the Planaria and not the shrimp, I'd borrow a few from you. The Endlers worked for a while but then they figured out how to nibble at the pellets I feed the shrimp. Now they are no longer interested in the Planaria.

megasycophant 12-31-2007 12:16 PM

Why not just, tank by tank, remove shrimp, leaving just endlers (or Flying Foxes (which I think you can find at Jack's even) or whatever) in there, not feeding them for a week or so, let 'em eat all the planaria. What's the planaria life cycle like? Will they go a long time between feedings? Can you just starve 'em out?

MatPat 12-31-2007 12:25 PM

Ha Ha, great minds think alike. I started with a gravel vac on the New Bee tank. I removed the shrimp and plants and put Endlers in the tank. I put the New Bees in with the Blue Pearls and will leave them in there for the next week or so. I'm going to put the Tigers in with the Cherry Reds and do the same to their tank. Probably have to catch the Greens and Amanos and put them into other tanks as well. It's gonna be a fun day but I should have some fat and happy Endlers by next week ;)

bencozzy 12-31-2007 04:07 PM

what kind of planaria do you all have in your tanks?

i have the white planaria(atleast i think thats what they are) and have never had a problem with them, with any inverts or fish.

they usually have a small population in my shrimp tanks but in new tanks they go crazy and have a population explosion.