Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/)
-   -   Your canister filter opinions (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/5064-your-canister-filter-opinions.html)

Jdinh04 02-23-2005 06:58 PM

Your canister filter opinions

So far for canister filters I have been recommended for the following:

Ehiem 2213 Canister Filter : $81.94 Shipped

Filstar XP 1 Canister Filter: $68.94

Fluval 204 Canister Filter: $65.94 Shipped

What are you opinions on these canister filters for a 20g high?

Raul-7 02-23-2005 10:16 PM

Definately stick with the Eheim. The XP's are too noisy, while the Fluvals have so many things that can go wrong with them. While the Eheim is dead-silent, reliable, and it can double as a C02 reactor.

turtlehead 02-23-2005 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raul-7
Eheim is dead-silent, reliable, and it can double as a C02 reactor.

Yup. I second that.

JanS 02-24-2005 11:07 AM

Yup, I'd go for the Eheim too.

gnatster 02-24-2005 11:17 AM

I've added the Eheim Canisters to the APC Reviews section broken down by family type. Please visit the APC Reviews and add your reviews. The more we all do this the better the section will become for all. As always, feel free to PM me with products you want to see added.

Thanks

robitreef 02-24-2005 11:34 AM

I have an Eheim 2213 on my tank, and it's a nice unit. The classic series is supposedly hard to prime, but I have not had any problems. It runs quiet. Make sure they give you the quick-disconnect valves, as they are a really nice feature.

Jdinh04 02-24-2005 11:43 AM

For the tubing on them, how does that work? Does it just slips in the socket? Nervous that the tube will slip off and water leaking.

trenac 02-24-2005 01:57 PM

I'm a Fluval user, although a lot of people put these filters down I have found them reliable. I have a couple of my Fluvals for years with no problems what so ever. I do a weekly cleaning of the filter media and clean the tubes once a month, others I have found go a least a month without cleaning and those are the people that seem to have the problems. So fluvals my be a little more high maintenance then some of the others filters but for the cost they are well worth it. The only thing I have found is at times they can be hard to prime.

Jdinh04 02-24-2005 02:10 PM

What do you guys mean by "Prime", sorry for my bad knowledge.

Rob G 02-24-2005 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdinh04
What do you guys mean by "Prime", sorry for my bad knowledge.

Priming is the act of getting the siphon started. Once the siphon is started, the impeller in the cannister filter will return the water to the aquarium, creating a continuous loop through the filter.

Some cannister filters provide a pump or lever to assist in priming the filter.