Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   APC Library (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/apc-library/)
-   -   How-To: Mineralized Soil Substrate, by Aaron Talbot (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/apc-library/52554-how-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html)

k zeller 12-05-2014 01:04 PM

Re: How-To: Mineralized Soil Substrate, by Aaron Talbot

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronT (Post 777162)
Results of spousal approval of using one's bathtub for such purposes may vary. ;) Scientifically speaking, it will work.

In my case the scientific part is all that I am concerned with ;). thanks Aaron

k zeller 12-05-2014 01:20 PM

Aaron, your original post you were using 3M Colorquartz T-Grade Black Sand. I have found that this is no longer available? What are you using now a days?

AaronT 12-05-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k zeller (Post 777610)
Aaron, your original post you were using 3M Colorquartz T-Grade Black Sand. I have found that this is no longer available? What are you using now a days?

Yes, that is true. It's such a bummer. It was and still is my favorite all time substrate choice.

I'm actually using Brightwell's cafe colored substrate right now. Our club did a group order and I wanted to try it out.

If I were to choose a cap for MTS now I would use Flourite Black. Not the sand, but the regular black one.

k zeller 12-08-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronT (Post 777674)
Yes, that is true. It's such a bummer. It was and still is my favorite all time substrate choice.

I'm actually using Brightwell's cafe colored substrate right now. Our club did a group order and I wanted to try it out.

If I were to choose a cap for MTS now I would use Flourite Black. Not the sand, but the regular black one.

So it is safe to assume that this is what you would use for your skirt before putting the slurry mixture in as well correct?

AaronT 12-08-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k zeller (Post 778450)
So it is safe to assume that this is what you would use for your skirt before putting the slurry mixture in as well correct?

Yes, and that step is really only for aesthetic reasons.

k zeller 12-09-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronT (Post 778530)
Yes, and that step is really only for aesthetic reasons.

Why cant the black flourite sand be used if this is "more aesthetically pleasing" to the hobbyist desiring to use the MTS method (i.e. me for the moment)? Or can it and you recommend not for a reason that has yet to be explained....:D

k zeller 12-09-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronT (Post 777674)

Are you using strictly Brightwell or did I misunderstand and you are still doing MTS and capping with Brightwell? Sorry for all the short lame questions. Just trying to make sure I know what I am doing before I shoot myself in the foot and loose a bunch of new plants.

k zeller 12-09-2014 07:52 AM

AaronT I have another thread in the substrate forum. Would you be willing to give me a little insite as to how this may perform/not perform with your method. I would really appreciate it.

https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...rted-poll.html

AaronT 12-09-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k zeller (Post 778674)
Are you using strictly Brightwell or did I misunderstand and you are still doing MTS and capping with Brightwell? Sorry for all the short lame questions. Just trying to make sure I know what I am doing before I shoot myself in the foot and loose a bunch of new plants.

It's pure Brightwell. Honestly, I'm wishing I had used MTS as the Crypts just don't do as well as I"m used to.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx 12-09-2014 08:22 PM

I love MTS as a substrate, combined with good lighting with decent PAR, and co2 nothing beats a beautiful planted tank with mineralized topsoil!!!

I'm currently debating on whether to go with MTS or Flourite when I set my 45 gallon long (48"x12"x19") back up. But as for right now I'm with MTS for my 30 gallon (36"x12"x19") rebuild, which was tore down because the stand started leaning back, which means it needs reinforced and that'll happen starting tomorrow and through the weekend.