Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/)
-   -   CO2 system suggestions for a 75gl tank (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/55519-co2-system-suggestions-75gl-tank.html)

fabrizio 09-17-2008 08:36 AM

CO2 system suggestions for a 75gl tank

Hello here,
I have a new 75gl tank and I would like to make it a live plant aquarium. So, I am looking around for a good CO2 system, I have a good budget to spend for it, so I wouldn't consider that an issue. I was looking into this system today and I would like any suggestions or thoughts:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/pr4026.htm

Do you think that would be too much for a 75gl tank? Also, I can see that the reactor there uses a pump (a Rio pump): will that make it noisy? I am asking that because I know there are other CO2 systems without pumps, so I was wondering if that's something really needed for my tank size or not. I am not expert in CO2 systems and I never got one! Any help and advice about this system and any other possible system is very, very welcome!

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Fabrizio

houseofcards 09-17-2008 08:54 AM

Re: CO2 system suggestions for a 75gl tank

You really don't need all that stuff. The ph controller is not at all necessary and it's another thing to worry about and setup and maintain. Just get the regulator (the one in the set or the one with the bubble counter), 5 or 10lb tank (depending on space) 5lb will probably last around 6mths between fills on a 75g and don't bother with that rio reactor. It's another bulky piece of equipment you don't need. Just get a glass diffusor for $10 - $15 and put it under your filter's spray bar. The ony other thing you need is a timer (like the one in the set) so the co2 goes off at night. That's it!

vancat 09-17-2008 09:14 AM

don't even need to shut it off at night.....

fabrizio 09-17-2008 10:19 AM

Thank you guys. Actually I liked the idea of the Ph controller so that I can have some control over the PH level as well the fact to avoid to check it manually everytime... what do you think about that detail?

Thank you again very much!

Fab.

abcemorse 09-17-2008 11:24 AM

I think pH controllers are overrated as they measure the tank water, which generally has phosphates and other stuff that tends to buffer the pH, giving less than accurate readings. I prefer a drop checker for accuracy and a timer to shut off CO2 at night when it's not needed. Food for thought.....

fabrizio 09-17-2008 11:59 AM

I understand. Another question: is it true that a PH controller helps to avoid waste of CO2? Also, is there any risk, without an automatic controller, to have water too acidic because of too much CO2?

Thank you.

Fab.

vancat 09-17-2008 12:17 PM

I don't use a controller. I use a PH monitor. Keeping an eye on the pH does the job.

chagovatoloco 09-17-2008 12:46 PM

using a co2 controller to not waste co2 is not a very good reason to invest in one. The amount of co2 that would be saved will not even come close to cover the price of the controller. If you want to speed money get a digital co2 monitor.

hoppycalif 09-17-2008 02:50 PM

CO2 doesn't drop the pH enough to damage fish or plants. Too much CO2 is hard on the fish, but not because it lowers the pH. A pH controller can actually result in losing fish. If the controller fails to work properly, you will add too much CO2 to the tank and the CO2 will kill the fish. In my opinion they are a waste of money, and a detriment to keeping a good healthy aquarium.

fabrizio 09-17-2008 02:52 PM

What about the possibility (if any of course!) to go away from home for several days and too much CO2 is pumped inside the tank? Is that something could happen?

Thanks.