Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Hawaii Discussion Area (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/hawaii-discussion-area/)
-   -   Endemic Invert/Fish Collecting on Oahu? (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/hawaii-discussion-area/65466-endemic-invert-fish-collecting-oahu.html)

Stimz 09-26-2009 07:58 PM

Endemic Invert/Fish Collecting on Oahu?

Not really sure on the legality of this, I think it's safe as long as its not a nature reserve, but does anyone know any good locations to collect hihiwai/hapawai, o'opu, opae ect.? I kind of wanna try an all native fish tank probably 33L if I can get one with sort of high flow, It's not really a planted tank though so I don't know if this is the right place to ask :P

I used to collect(about 6 years ago) a lot around the Nuuanu area but when I went back to check there isn't really much left...

Travis.808 09-27-2009 05:10 PM

Re: Endemic Invert/Fish Collecting on Oahu?

Maybe the marshes in Kailua? Not too sure. Sounds great though if you do it up, please post pics super interested.

Felf808 09-28-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis.808 (Post 496948)
Maybe the marshes in Kailua? Not too sure. Sounds great though if you do it up, please post pics super interested.

Go to Kailua if you like tilapia. You'll have better luck waaaaay up in Nuuanu, Manoa, and Kahaluu/Kahuku.

Travis.808 09-29-2009 01:41 PM

I was referring to plants not fish. I didn't think he'd want a tilapia tank.

Stimz 09-29-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis.808 (Post 497309)
I was referring to plants not fish. I didn't think he'd want a tilapia tank.

I'm not really sure what kinds of plants I'd put in a tank like this... we don't really have any local aquatic plants do we?

Stimz 09-29-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felf808 (Post 497079)
Go to Kailua if you like tilapia. You'll have better luck waaaaay up in Nuuanu, Manoa, and Kahaluu/Kahuku.

Yeah, I remember there being a stream leading out to sea I think in Kahuku, I bet further upstream would have opae ect.

Travis.808 09-29-2009 04:19 PM

Not sure, thought it was gonna be local plants shrimps and fish.

b15ser 09-29-2009 04:52 PM

You would have to go up high up the stream/mountain to find opae kala'ole. Most opae found sea level are just feeder shrimp (neocaridina sp. or 'wild' cherries). Sometimes I've found opae kala'ole mixed in with the feeder shrimp at pet shops. Anyway, I'd be interested to tag along if you go lmk :D

S-KGray 09-29-2009 10:51 PM

What parts of the stream do opae kala'ole like to hang out in? Do they hide under rocks, or in plants, or are they just cruising around? I went exploring a couple Saturdays and didn't see any, but I was just looking from the bank and didn't jump in with my scoop net or anything.

Stimz 09-30-2009 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&KGray (Post 497426)
What parts of the stream do opae kala'ole like to hang out in? Do they hide under rocks, or in plants, or are they just cruising around? I went exploring a couple Saturdays and didn't see any, but I was just looking from the bank and didn't jump in with my scoop net or anything.

I'm curious about that also... they don't really look like swimmers so I'd assume attached to rocks/on the bottom/on plants or roots? Too bad none of the hawaiian aquatic life can't be captive bred due to the half ocean/half fresh water life cycle :(