Aquatic Plant Central

Aquatic Plant Central (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/)
-   -   Those that run canisters on co2 injected tanks (https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/98762-those-run-canisters-co2-injected-tanks.html)

Dagenfish 07-15-2014 04:29 PM

Those that run canisters on co2 injected tanks

How much surface agitation do you have? And what are ways that you personally keep your o2 levels up so the co2 can be cranked up for high light and minimum stress on inhabitants

Thanks!

Skizhx 07-15-2014 07:31 PM

Re: Those that run canisters on co2 injected tanks

When I had a tank that used a canister I had absolutely no surface turbulence.

Plants kept the oxygen up. Eventually I started running an air stone at night too, but it probably wasn't necessary. That was years ago though...

StrungOut 07-15-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagenfish (Post 728370)
How much surface agitation do you have? And what are ways that you personally keep your o2 levels up so the co2 can be cranked up for high light and minimum stress on inhabitants

Thanks!

I have the spray bar aimed at like a 45 degree angle upwards so it causes surface current but no agitation. The plants produce the rest of the o2

Tugg 07-16-2014 04:53 AM

You'll always want some degree of surface movement. Various organics/oils will settle at the top and create a film that prevents gas exchange if you don't.

You don't want need any kind of white water craziness, but make sure you have some surface rippling to push that film around and force it to breakup.

Cavan Allen 07-16-2014 12:42 PM

I consider some kind of surface skimming device required equipment when injecting co2. I also aerate at night for a few hours. It makes a BIG difference. You can also inject co2 all you want without worry. I have some slight surface rippling with my Hydor too. This makes it somewhat harder to keep co2 in solution, but it's more than worth it.

Charrr89 07-16-2014 02:25 PM

I had an inline c02 diffuser and a eheim skimmer..... It worked well and I had a good amount of movement on the top f my tank...

Dagenfish 07-19-2014 09:11 AM

Ive been experimenting with very high agitation and a surface skimmer running as fast as possible without getting bubbles in the canister. I have been upping co2 and the plants just keep growing better and better

Aquaticz 07-20-2014 06:07 AM

I do not use a spray bar. I have an eheim pro 3 which provides plenty of circulation or flow in the tank (55). I haven surface oil/film. I have a few rainbows so I aerate at night.

The spray bar is over rated IMHO

Sean W. 07-25-2014 05:18 PM

I use a spray bar on my 2213 and have zero surface agitation.

Chaoslord 07-26-2014 12:19 PM

I have heavy surface turbulence in all my tanks. Plants and fish love it.