Originally Posted by hoppycalif
I suspect your KH test kit is faulty. 38 dKH is very unlikely. If it truly is that high you may have dissolved a lot of baking soda into the water, and that isn't likely either. Usually high KH in tap water is combined with high GH.
Truly it isn't faulty. I just got a TDS meter and it's over 1000 ppm coming out of the tap from my well. When I checked the TDS in my tank (which is 50/50 well water and town water) it was 700. My town water (haven't checked the TDS) has a GH of 1 and a KH of 7. I used the same kit as I did for my well water, so I think it's accurate.