Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - What is this and how do I get it under control?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
BMBLSAD

iTrader Ratings: 0
BMBLSAD is a regular member
Question What is this and how do I get it under control?

I have several tanks, all with some beginner-level live plants. I don't have the best water; it's super high in iron and super hard so we have to put it through a water softener. I'm using caribsea torpedo sand substrate. I've tried fertilizing with Thrive liquid and root tabs following directions, and also tried barely fertilizing at all in an attempt to control the algae. I used to run my lights for 8-10 hrs, but now I leave them mostly off only keeping them on for about 4 hours in the evenings. My tanks are in a north-facing room so there is no direct sunlight. Not sure what other info to provide. So...

What is this stuff? Originally, I noticed the stringy algae, and I was removing by twirling it around a toothbrush. I don't see much of it anymore. The other is more hairy and has been increasing over the last 4-5 weeks. It's like it's embedded in the plant. I can't rub it off or pull it off. It started on my vals but is starting to move to others.

Any advice on what to do?

I'm new to fishkeeping (no surprise) - have only had my tanks since April 2019. I did cycle them without fish to start with but now have fish and snails (mystery and nirites, and now a growing population of bladder snails)

Thanks!
Beth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hairy algae 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	62717   Click image for larger version

Name:	hairy algae 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	62719   Click image for larger version