Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Syngonium to help polish water...
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stan510
Moved on

iTrader Ratings: 0
Stan510 is a regular member
Default Syngonium to help polish water...

I stuck a few rooted cuttings from my backyard in Cali, into the cutout for filters on my 35 year old + Acrylic Tru Vuu 240 gallon aquarium. It grew..then it grew well...then it just did great. As it got larger,my aquariums hair and blue green algae eventually disappeared after plaguing me for a year and a half.

Eventually,it took over the left cutout directly over the tank. I trim what comes forward off. I would say its made a huge impact especially after dosing the big tank with Seachem Iron. Plants that were so-so have taken off,and since the photos,I added some nice plants I had avoided before because I figured algae would just coat them and,or,they would not grow period.

Now,this tank gets sunlight from that big window and to get big growth you would have to use an intense artificial light..what kind is up to you..but a dedicated light for the Syngonium is a must.

The Syngoniums roots are both free flowing..and some have made to the bottom of the 24" deep tank and into the sand. Fish lover to swim in the surface roots and stems. I even get underwater leaves as the weight of the plant pushes leaves underwater ( eventually they rot and I remove them) but it looks like an underwater Philodendron.
Now,I've tried Pothos...Pothos is good..but it wants to climb and if its roots touch a wall,they cement themselves to it. Spathiphyllum is very good too..you might try that and it flowers.
I can't believe what a difference it makes...removes nitrates like crazy,tints from foods and I notice,takes the smell out of the water..no fishy or earthy smell...mostly no smell at all.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1446.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	62769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1448.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	512.5 KB
ID:	62771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.jpg