Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - What would we think of the Fluence Ray?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Yorkie

iTrader Ratings: 0
Yorkie is a regular member
Default Re: What would we think of the Fluence Ray?

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, I'm very late in on this topic being a newcomer but...

When measuring PAR/PPF (Photosynthetic Photon Flux), a special instrument known as an Integrating Sphere is used for this purpose. It captures all the light being emitted from a light source in three dimensions. Please see the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_sphere

So, it is not necessary to specify distance for PPF measurements as the idea behind this instrument is to capture all the photons being emitted by the light source. However, it is necessary to specify area upon which the light is falling in most applications and this is PPFD, which is Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density. PPF is measured in micromoles/sec and PPFD is measured in micromoles/m^2/sec.

OK, having got that out of the way, I have a BML light fixture which was Fluence's previous incarnation. It was my own design but assembled by BML/Fluence. This fixture is six years old and still going strong.

I will take more time to look at the Fluence Ray details. BTW, does anyone know what it costs?

Yorkie
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote