Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Roy's 30 Gallon Red Spot Green Discus F1
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seattle_Aquarist

iTrader Ratings: 31
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
Seattle_Aquarist is a regular member
Default re: Roy's 30 Gallon Red Spot Green Discus F1

Hi All,

2020-07-25
When I started the tank I seeded the Marineland C-220 filter with some detritus from one of my HOB filters on another tank to kick-start the nitrogen cycle. Today I added a couple more plant species and three (3) fish to ensure the nitrogen cycle starts and maintains well. I added an Otocinclus, a Siamese Algae Eater (aka SAE / Crossocheilus oblongus), and a 'runt of the litter' Corydoras aeneus. The Otocinclus will eat any diatoms which seems to be fairly common with out soft water. The SAE will eat any hair algae that seems to show up in my tanks during the ammonia portion of the nitrogen cycle, and the Corydoras will stir up any detritus so the canister filter can remove it. If they get hungry I'll add 1/4 of an algae wafer just before lights out.

SAE and Corydoras

I checked the PAR level today, with the water clearing even more the light intensity is [email protected] I am running the Fluval 3.0 on a split photoperiod of 09:00 - 11:00 and 19:00 - 21:30 for a total of 4 -1/2 hours of light per day.

I also added a Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko' from the previous 30 gallon set-up and some Bacopa colorata from my emersed plant bank.
Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote