Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - New Member here - Aquascape Challenges
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Michael

iTrader Ratings: 0
Michael is a regular member
Default Re: New Member here - Aquascape Challenges

Welcome to APC!

Depending on where you are in DFW, your tap water chemistry can vary a lot, so it is a good idea to get a test. I am in Dallas with moderately hard tap water (180 ppm total dissolved solids) and strongly buffered to pH 7.8. So I have fish and plants that will tolerate it. All of my tanks are Walstad method, and this does alter water chemistry a little (mostly lowering pH). There are many, many species of aquatic plants that will thrive in hard water.

On this forum you will see two general approaches to planted aquaria: Walstad method or El Natural and high tech (for lack of better names). It is best to pick one method or the other. Personally, I think the Walstad method is the easiest but you are somewhat more limited in the species of plants that will do well long term. Most of the aquascapes that you see in competitions on in videos are high tech, but there is no reason why you cannot get similar aesthetics with the Walstad method.

DFW APC has suspended meetings because of the pandemic, which is too bad because that is where you will get the best advice for this region. But ask questions here and you will gets lots of helpe. Good luck!
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote