Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1st SCAPE Meet & Demo April 22 @ 1 p.m.

14K views 155 replies 22 participants last post by  turbomkt 
#1 ·
What?:

Our first SCAPE (Southern California Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts) Meet & Demo!

If you're not officially a member, don't worry! There's nothing to do other than attend!

Let's unite with fellow hobbyists, 'scape a "high-tech" planted aquarium, trade plants, and support a new Local Fish Store where the owner is making a concerted effort to support the hobby.

One lucky attendee will win a clean, healthy patch of Hemianthus Callitrichoides ("HC") courtesy of me!

When?:

Saturday, April 22nd, from 1-4 p.m.

Where?:

Ocean Blue
622 E. Katella Ave.
Orange, CA 92867
(714)532-4528 (Owner is Brian)
(See this thread for more details and pictures of the shop: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/scape/14687-new-lfs-ocean-blue-orange-ca.html)

What Should I Bring?:

Plants
Feel free to bring pre-identified healthy plants to use in the aquascape, if appropriate, and for trading afterwards. Fast growers are especially welcome. Let's donate the remainder to Brian for resale in appreciation of his hospitality. (I am bringing some Cherry Shrimp and assorted plants for use in the scape.)

Ideas:
This scaping process should be collaborative, so bring your ideas!

Supply List:
Brian stocks many supplies (hopefully soon, ADA), so if you need anything, please consider buying from his store. He mentioned extending a discount to SCAPE members, too, which would be nice. Also, he is placing a big plant order to coincide with the meet … so factor that.

One More Thing:
Please check this thread prior to the 22nd for any last minute notices!

See less See more
#130 ·
Great to see everyone at Ocean Blue today!! Pics will be coming soon!

#132 ·
big thanks to gomer and john for running things while the rest of us were keeping silent in the beginning. eventually people started talking though, and i think it's because of mike's entrance lol.

dang i got a lot of free stuff... i will definitely be giving back to you guys in the future

ps did anyone grab the amanos or are they in the show tank?

#134 ·
Thanks for all of the plants and stuff that was a lot of fun. I must admit it was a little awkward in the beggining but I think after a while it got to be pretty fun. I hope the tank doesnt get struck with any serious algae problems. I hope the tank ends up looking nice.

Gomer, John P, and IUnknown good job with the planting. I am glad you guys stepped up and did all the work I think it will look very nice.

#137 ·
It was great meeting most of you for the first time! I had obviously already met a few people, so I think that's what made me a little more comfortable ;)

I'm going to be setting up some server space for Carl who has volunteered to put something together. I'll probably throw a thread together as well...since one of the things I did was take pictures of people ;)

As long as Brian keeps on top of things, the algae shouldn't be a major issue. I was talking to him and he said he wasn't sure if he would be using Seachem or ADA products to maintain the tank. I made sure he understood if he used Seachem that he'd have to dose higher than recommended. IIRC, Tony also made sure he understood that the ADA substrates that mostly made it there from ADG :) would probably carry the tank for the first couple of weeks of water changes.

And as for no one really talking until I got there...I've been known to be a closet catalyst. Maybe it was all of the KNO3 I was carrying in!

#141 ·
Yesterday meeting

Hello everyone,

I would like to thank all of you that participated in yesterday's event. I especially would like to thank John and Tony for leading the activities and coordinating the event. Well the tank looks 100x better this morning than it did yesterday, it has cleared up nicely. I'll post pictures periodically to show the tanks' progress.

If you missed my announcement we are now officially an ADA dealer and will be stocking most ADA substrate in the coming weeks. If you are looking for any other ADA products, please let me know and we will be able to assist you. Thanks again for stopping by and being a part of our first ever event to Ocean Blue. We will hold more events in the near future. Stay tuned!

Regards,

Brian

#142 ·
Thanks for hosting, Brian! We all enjoyed ourselves...and my kids loved feeding the fish! Thank you to you and your staff!

--Mike

oceanblue said:
Hello everyone,

I would like to thank all of you that participated in yesterday's event. I especially would like to thank John and Tony for leading the activities and coordinating the event. Well the tank looks 100x better this morning than it did yesterday, it has cleared up nicely. I'll post pictures periodically to show the tanks' progress.

If you missed my announcement we are now officially an ADA dealer and will be stocking most ADA substrate in the coming weeks. If you are looking for any other ADA products, please let me know and we will be able to assist you. Thanks again for stopping by and being a part of our first ever event to Ocean Blue. We will hold more events in the near future. Stay tuned!

Regards,

Brian

#143 ·
orthikon said:
Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun there too bad i missed it. I was sick yesterday and was unable to make it for the meeting. I may have a respiratory tract infection.

Kurtis sorry I was unable to give you a ride.

-Jon
We wish you could have made it. I know at least one "Kurtis" made it.

Get well soon!

#144 ·
John P. said:
Maybe "she" was really there? :) [Joke]
If that was really my motivation, would I have brought a wife and 4 kids? She's got a bimmer and I would have ridden the beemer in ;) In fact, the bimmer is part of the reason. #1 reason was the $$ Ben gave me to buy a regulator from her, as well as the others looking for rocks/wood. #2 is the dSLR camera I was hoping she would borrow from her boyfriend (or get him to come along and take pictures) since Tony failed to bring his ;)

#147 ·
oceanblue said:
Hello everyone,

Regards,

Brian
The pleasure was ours! Thank you for being such a gracious host. I know all the winners appreciated the door prizes, and we enjoyed the hospitality. I look forward to stopping by regularly to check the progress of the tank. It will be great once the foreground and rear stems fill in.

That tank's a beauty, too (the hardware). Several of us wished we could take it home! I guess we know where to buy one! Or is an ADA tank the way to go? I guess we know where to get one of those, too! :)

Thanks again, Brian.

#148 ·
turbomkt said:
#2 is the dSLR camera I was hoping she would borrow from her boyfriend (or get him to come along and take pictures) since Tony failed to bring his ;)
Funny! I had my Nikon D100 in the the hatch of my car, but (duh) only brought a memory card with 23 shots available. C'est la vie!

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics from our first official meet.

Looking forward to seeing you all again,

#149 ·
Carl has the pics he took ready to go and I've told him to go ahead and post the link (They're on my server space, but he did the work).

My photos will go up later. That being said... Is there anyone whose picture I took that DOES NOT want their likeness shared? (Jason, I can edit out Jennifer if she's too shy ;)) I will only post photos of people if I get their permission :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.