Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - [Wet Thumb Forum]-Ruby Reef Reef Safe "Kick Ich"?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 05:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
TortoiseBoy

iTrader Ratings: 1
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
TortoiseBoy is a regular member

Hi guys,
I recently used what sounds like a similar product from Kordon called Prevent Ich. It makes almost identical claims to the product you are describing. The quote from the web page is as follows:

"Prevent·Ich IS SAFE FOR USE IN ALL KINDS OF AQUARIUMS AND ORNAMENTAL PONDS: scaleless fishes (such as loaches, elephant noses,electric eels, knife fishes and catfishes), coral reef fishes young fish and fry, reef aquariums, aquatic plants, aquatic Invertebrates (such as snails, crustaceans, corals and sea anemones), amphibians and reptiles.
Prevent·Ich will not stain sealants, ornaments, plastic or living plants will not not unduly affect the pH or permanently discolor the water. Prevent·Ich does not affect beneficial nitrifying bacteria."

Wow, magic! It is based on an organic herbal active ingredient called naphtiquinone or some such. Anyway, I used two 15 dollar bottles of this stuff on my 90 gallon plant tank to combat a low-moderate severity ich outbreak. I used it for about two weeks at twice the regular dosage (this is recommended on the bottle for "tough" ich cases) because I was still seeing spots on the fish. I can tell you that it did not outright cure the ich, but all of the fish that had the ich (some still do, but it is much less severe now) are still alive. I can vouch for the safety aspect, though, because my tetras and borneo sucker, my shrimp, and my massive cotton-picking snail population still appear to be in fine form. The plants seem none the worse for wear, as well. So, my conclusion is that the product is safe but not the best ich cure in the world. However, it did not stain my silicone and it did keep alive a few of my critters that may have been hurt by a malachite green product. That is my experience, anyway.

TB
TortoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote