Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - [Wet Thumb Forum]-That smell
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2004, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
DataGuru

iTrader Ratings: 1
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
DataGuru is a regular member

I sifted the last topsoil I used. That should help.

Yea, that's pretty muchly what I found today, this article focused on an enzyme in mitochondria resposible for conversion of glucose to energy (ATP).

Found the abstract for an article that's relevant: Torrans EL, Clemens HP. Physiological and biochemical effects of acute exposure of fish to hydrogen sulfide. Comparative biochemistry and physiology, 1982, 71:183-190.

Pretty deep tho.
The channel catfish exposed to 0.5 mg/l H2S at 20 degrees C showed rapid respiration, then they stopped breathing and died. Looks like it inhibited cytochrome oxidase activity in the brain and gills and increased blood lactate levels (latate builds up when the cells run out of O2 and use an anaerobic process to convert glucose to energy). Sulfide-inhibited brain cytochrome oxidase recovered from a 50% inhibition to control levels in channel catfish after 6 hr in freshwater at 10 degrees C.

That's interesting... fish with methemoglobinemia from nitrIte binding up the hemoglobin in red blood cells showed less inhibiiton of cytochrome oxidase. I wonder if hemoglobin plays some role in the transport of H2S...

Now what the heck is cytochrome oxidase. ok, according to your dictionary.com
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>cytochrome oxidase is An oxidizing enzyme containing iron and a porphyrin, found in mitochondria and important in cell respiration as an agent of electron transfer from certain cytochrome molecules to oxygen molecules. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I get it. H2S results in not enough cytochrome oxidase and the cells have to switch to anaerobic processes to turn glucose into energy (ATP) and that results in lactate buildup. So even if O2 is available, they can't use it if enough cytochrome oxidase is inactivated.

Oh this is interesting (I've been reading up on bouyancy issues in goldies and this turned up with a search for lactate).
Lactate apparently had a role in the venous transfer of gasses from the blood to the swimbladder. Apparently lactate lowers blood pH causing hemoglobin to dump its O2, increasing the O2 saturation in the blood and allowing O2 to flow into the swimbladder.
DataGuru is offline   Reply With Quote