Aquatic Plant Forum banner

[Wet Thumb Forum]-White Paint or Aluminum

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  imported_29gallonsteve 
#1 ·
Being a colledge student with a limited budget. I'm making a DIY hood. I was wondering what's a better reflector, white paint or aluminum.

Thanks guys in advance.

#7 ·
I just recently tested Mother's polish (bought from Pep-boys auto store) on a piece of aluminum flashing (home depot). I used a Dremel tool with one of the polishing pads...brought a brushed aluminum finish to a polished reflector surface in a a matter of 10 minutes for a 4x6 piece of metal. It was mirror-like! I could have shaved and brushed my hair (not that there is much left of that) in the reflection I got with this polished aluminum...

Since I had the dremel and Mothers is only a couple of bucks...(aluminum being 7.00 for a 14x120" sheet)...

Cheapola...!!!

Thanks,
Steve

#11 ·
Stainless wood screws are what I used to install to the wood canopy.

If you are referring to the plastic hood, I used sockets that had a metal "hook" piece. I used a bracket and the existing "screw holes" that are in the hood (after you remove the white guts and reflector). Just used the screws that fit in those holes originally...

Thanks,
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.